STI shifter bust - Can I use down tube

seabirch

Retro Newbie
Hi
The RH sti shifter (RSX) on my Giant has bust. Only shifts x3 and the cable is completely wedged in by the previous owner. can't afford to replace both shifters at the mo so wondering whether i could put downtube shifters on it
DSC04141.jpg

J

It should be possible, if you remove the cable guide you should find a nice braze on for your down shifters underneath :)

Why is the cable coming under the down tube from the left hand side? Are you sure it's broken and not just sticking because of a poor cable run?

What has happened is that i was told by the prvious owner that the cable was stretched and needed changing and thats why it didn't shift well. In fact, it would only do 3 shifts before no more shifting. It seems that the cable end has lodged in the mechanism and I cannot shift it round enough to get it out. Also the top part of the lever - fits with an allen key to above the brake lever has come off and I cannot get the spring to fit back.

hmm i would try to get the cable out try WD40 and press the shifter down and up sooner or later got to come out i had the same problem on mine (was a Sora shifter) worked it out in the end pardon the pun just stick with it lol

I think that may be out of the question. Made a big boo boo with the allen bolt at the end if the shifter and it has sheared off.

seabirch":3ikljil5 said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230827974787?var=530068401422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_857wt_1114

Would these work?

Yep, those should work :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back