Turbo Training?

Echo all the comments on fans, music etc....

Two tips:
First - I use a heart rate monitor. I always found it really hard to judge the intensity I should be working at - until I got the HRM. Programs available from Polar etc give you 10 mins at 70% then 40 mins at 80% and another 10mins at 70%. Focusing on the HRM level and time left to go at the % helped to pass the time and reduce the boredom....

Second - get some cheap aero clip-on bars....... I'll show you why in a minute

As I said - get some aero bars :)

1 Fit your aero bars, remembering to remove the endcaps
2 Tap in two lengths of 22mm dowel
3 Sleeve the dowel in PVC pipe
4 Attach 40x40cm board to dowel using pipe clips
5 Place lappy on board and surf RetroBike while you train!! :)

main.php

main.php

HOW COOL IS THAT.

Mind you, I'd have to fit a waterpoof keyboard cover, due to the amount I sweat :oops:

Couple of things to add:

I do intervals on mine. The "on" segment in *52-13 at near max heart rate followed by recovery in *42-13 (*I use a road bike I leave set up on a mag trainer in the kitchen - yes, I'm single). I alternate every other "on" part seated and out of the saddle. It may be a bit hard yourself with the shoulder to stand and pedal, but I'd start doing that when you're comfortable.

Drape a towel over your stem/top tube so you're sweat doesn't get in your headset and any nicks and scratches in your top tube. Handy to have a towel there to wipe your forehead/face so the sweat doesn't get in your eyes, too.

Make sure there's fresh air if you're doing it in a small room indoors. Not many people realize how fast a cyclist at max effort can drop the oxygen & increase the CO2 levels in a small, unventilated room.

I use a road bike I leave set up on a mag trainer in the kitchen - yes, I'm single

No doubt it gives you a handy place to hang your tea towels when you're not using it too. :D

xerxes":3dzkh3pr said:
No doubt it gives you a handy place to hang your tea towels when you're not using it too. :D

Tea towel? You misspelled tee. And I keep those in a pocket in my golf bag, not the kitchen. ;)

For the sake of the forum's amusement, I walked over and took stock of what's on my kitchen table (aside from the usual kitcheny stuff):

-can of WD 40
-tube of Autosol and a rag
-box containing a new Michelin Pro 4 700x23 tire
-packing tape dispenser thingy
-Mini MagLite
-various GoPro mounting hardware bits
-Oakley M-Frames
-road gloves
-one of my buddy's MTB gloves he misplaced
-AA/AAA nicad charger
-leftover parts from last weekends replacing the waterline to the fridge's ice maker project
-2 replacement pins for my Park chain tool in a baggie that haven't made it out to the garage yet

and my friends wonder why I don't have a live-in SO

FMJ":iyrut8lg said:
Couple of things to add:

I do intervals on mine. The "on" segment in *52-13 at near max heart rate followed by recovery in *42-13 (*I use a road bike I leave set up on a mag trainer in the kitchen - yes, I'm single). I alternate every other "on" part seated and out of the saddle. It may be a bit hard yourself with the shoulder to stand and pedal, but I'd start doing that when you're comfortable.

Drape a towel over your stem/top tube so you're sweat doesn't get in your headset and any nicks and scratches in your top tube. Handy to have a towel there to wipe your forehead/face so the sweat doesn't get in your eyes, too.

Make sure there's fresh air if you're doing it in a small room indoors. Not many people realize how fast a cyclist at max effort can drop the oxygen & increase the CO2 levels in a small, unventilated room.

I'm going to see if I can blag my sons heart rate monitor, as he's not using it right now.

I realised I needed a towel after the first couple of minutes. Once in place I plugged on for the rest of the session, using time for my on and off intervals. I could feel the 'benefit' this morning when I got up.

I'm using one of my mtb's, as it's the most comfortable bike I have.

As for air, yesterday I was outside, so plenty of fresh air out there, and the room at the back of the house has a patio door which is the whole of one wall, so I can open that wide for breeze a plenty.

I've had a quick look at turbotraining.co.uk and there is so much info there I am somewhat overwhelmed. Still, I have plenty of time, so I'm sure I'll soon get myself sorted out.

NeilM":24n4pxqb said:
. For now, I am trying not to rot the bike to its with my sweat :oops:

I use an old long sleeved tee shirt as a sweat guard, tie the arms to the bars and cable tie the bottom of the shirt to the seat post, pull body of the shirt open wide enough to catch the sweat and peddle away
its cheap, washable and does the job :)

Beat the clock...beat the clock...BEat the clock...BEAT the Clock...BEAT THE B'STARD CLOCK.

Well chums and playmates, just did my second session, using accumulated knowledge from Turbotrainer.torture.

Two minute warm up, working up to my normal cadence, two more minutes on more load, one minute a bit more load and then the first minute of each five in 48 / 11.

Followed by one minute recovery, one minute on higher load, two minutes higher, one minute top. Repeated for 35 minutes.

I will add a heart rate monitor and a bit more variation over the coming days / weeks :evil:, with the intention of doing 65 minute sessions.

Latest posts

Back