Shimano or Sram?!

@mindmap3
i want to run hollowtech 2 cranks, not sure which yet, if i go shimano then it'l be XTR but if i go SRAM then i will either use the crank that comes in the groupset or get a truvativ one.
Shimano is a lot cheaper than sram but i was wondering whether i would be paying more for more quality and a better ride.
sounds like the SRAM vs Shimano is even stevens at the moment.

I'd probably mix and match...I don't like Sram or Truvativ cranks and I think Shimano ones are too pricey these days when compared to Race Face, which t my eyes are way nicer than Shimano cranks. The finish is tougher too.

I've never used mid-range Sram stuff so can't comment on it, only X9 or above. My original X9 mech from 05 is still going strong having been on two DH bikes, various trail bikes and been hit into numerous rocks in the peaks. It's just round its way onto my Lopez 4X build.

Given that your looking at the higher end groupings, you can't go wrong. You'll find people with pretty strong views in both camps.

I'd probably mix and match...I don't like Sram or Truvativ cranks and I think Shimano ones are too pricey these days when compared to Race Face, which t my eyes are way nicer than Shimano cranks. The finish is tougher too.

I've never used mid-range Sram stuff so can't comment on it, only X9 or above. My original X9 mech from 05 is still going strong having been on two DH bikes, various trail bikes and been hit into numerous rocks in the peaks. It's just round its way onto my Lopez 4X build.

Given that your looking at the higher end groupings, you can't go wrong. You'll find people with pretty strong views in both camps.

SRAM all day for me. I have X0 shifters and rear mechs on two bikes but prior to that ran XTR for many moons. Prefer the feel of the SRAM gear and it works well for me.

I run RaceFace cranks and like their lifetime warranty and looks over any other brand.

Another one for Shimano here...It is the age old debate tho SRAM vs Shimano it always ends up evens!

And to add in RaceFaces favour I have warrantied two pairs of cranks with them and got brand new replacement or upgrade for free in that I sent them one arm and they sent me a full Deus XC kit inc rings and BB.

My opinion, Shimano is better always has been, sram is the BMW Badge. Low end Shimano like deore and the new alivio 9 speed are ridiculously good for the money and is way better than sram low end. Sram x9 rear mechs are very good but there shifters and front mech have allways been poor. My experiences from 15 years working in bike shops.

I dont think you'll go wrong with either at the XT or X9 and higher levels although the law of diminishing returns sets in pretty heavily after these. I have switched from 9 speed M970 XTR to 10 speed X0/XX and have to say I prefer the SRAM kit. But I really loved the XTR shifters, the X0 I have now are lighter but more clunky and still not used to the thumb + thumb style. However, they seem less fussy than the Shimano and more positive in operation. Cranks wise I think the Shimano kit looks miles better, the SRAMs look plasticky. Of it all the one thing in particular which I marvel at though is the XX cassette, it really is an amazing bit of engineering - 11-36T and only just over 200g in weight.
Whichever you decide on though you'll be getting some great kit so enjoy.

getin":1bar08d1 said:
My opinion, Shimano is better always has been, sram is the BMW Badge. Low end Shimano like deore and the new alivio 9 speed are ridiculously good for the money and is way better than sram low end. Sram x9 rear mechs are very good but there shifters and front mech have allways been poor. My experiences from 15 years working in bike shops.

Isn't the low end Sram stuff just the old stuff with a new name? The current X5 stuff for example looks identical to my X9 from 05...I dint know if the materials etc are the same, but aesthetically it looks the same.

I wish Suntour still made mechs and shifters.

Back in the day, I always thought their stuff looked better than the Shinano of the same era, and it made Campagnolo kit of the time look like something from ancient history, it was light, worked well and was really nicely finished.

Back