New project...2005 GT Brian Lopes 4X frame

I really want a pair but am too tight to pay for what they go for on eBay...it wasn't that long ago that they went for naff all.

I don't think the Lopes frames go for much these days...I certainly didn't pay much for mine.

That's pretty good going...all of the ones that I have watched have gone for well over a hundred sheets.

I saw that bargain bike...can't go wrong with that.

yea keep seein shivers on ebay got for 100 quid

and that bikes stripped and sold on sold front wheel for 35 quid and frame and bits for 40
kept the shivers and rear wheel

More pics...as I have now seen it in daylight!

DSC03929-1.jpg

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03934.jpg

Managed to get the front brake fitted with new hose etc. Still not 100% sold on the M4's and am tempted to sell them for some new Deore's which look like excellent value.

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03946.jpg

DSC03947.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

DSC03949.jpg

DSC03950.jpg

The bottom bracket has freed itself up - look like all that GT85 and chainlube that I put in the seized bearing has done the job for now. Its a bit noisey (but you can't hear it with the chain, freehub, tyre noise etc) but will do until pay day.

Don't think much will really change on it now, apart from maybe the brakes. I still need to fit my Crank Bros headset (later on today) and I may change the stem for a 60mm one as it does seem a tad short - I've caught my knees on the bars a couple of times.

Other than that, pretty pleased with it and am looking forward to using it in anger. Its first proper ride will probably be next Friday as I'm off work.

Cheers. It should be; it feels really quick having just mucked about in the road on it. Even though I'm rubbish at manuals, it seems to manual well compared to the SX.

Am going to drop to a 165mm rotor on the front because I can't get the front wheel in and out. The plus 20 adapter puts the caliber too far down the rotor, which is made worse by the low disc mount on the bombers. A 185mm with an M4 is probably overkill on a hardtail anyhow. And I can't be bother swapping the calipers round and rebleeding the brakes.

I spent all weekend riding the Lopes and love it. I was quite surprised at how quickly I got used to it, although it was a shock riding a hardtail again. The forks feel perfect on it, not too slack at all. Still can't get over how easy it is to manual. Jumps well too. I found myself looking for things to pop off or manual over even on boring bits.

Only downside is the cassette and chain I had are knackered...I don't think I'm using the chain that I had been when the cassette was last in use. It slips under load in magic third and fourth (they're the magic gears because I use them for everything). I've ordered a new HG61 11-28 cassette and Sram PC971 chain in the CRC sale.

I'm almost warming to the M4's now too. They've started to bed in and seem to offer more than enough power for a little bike. Only downside is the lever blades are too long and chunky compared to newer brakes. The blades on my Strokers feel very dainty and svelte.

All in all, really pleased with it, especially as it hasn't cost much to build up.

Back