Dialled Alpine SS

Cheers chaps :) even you chugnuts, your opinion counts of course. :)

[gets up on soapbox]

The single speed phenomena...

The way I view this single speed malarky is yet *another* fad for the herd to follow... ...yet again. Maybe it's a case of plain old toretts or just social commentary, but I can't help myself that whenever I see a rider on a single speed bike that I glide majestically past whilst climbing a big hill I have to say out aloud and with utter conviction... "knob".

Now, to cast the stone/assertion to all and sundry that ride the devils spawn would be incorrect on my part. I'm sure that there are some out there that ride such contraptions that *actually* compete at events in velodromes so I can see the logic behind riding such things, but, the fashionistas? Hmm.

I recently gave an old Lava Dome to a mate of mine who then decided to convert into one of these 'stupid bikes'. I asked him what it was like to ride on (bearing in mind that there was nothing wrong with the bike before I gave it to him and functioned as any other mountain bike would - efficiently.) He's told me that he has to get off his bike and walk up some of the major hills around here - the same ones he used to ride up with a "normal bike" pre conversion. What's the sense in that? None that I can see apart from standing out in the crowd to make some pathetic attempt at 'look at me, I'm special, I know what's going down'. Pleeeease.

I'm not attempting to say that there are rulez, or any other such nonsense. What I'm trying to point out is the silliness that the single speed phenomena is all about in "The Book of Chungnuts". I've often pondered the arguments for and against and the against always seems to wipe the floor every single time. Take the weight weenie argument for instance. Yeah, you might have an ultra light bike, but what happens when you have to climb a 1 in 4 gradient, what's your weight saving ganna do for you then? Zilch, zipp, nothing, nadda-thing... You'll have to get off your bike and walk it up = fail, whereas the bloke that hasn't converted his bike and followed the crowd like a lemming will carry on pottering up the hill.

So there you have it. This post wasn't designed as a personal attack of the O.P, I made it to make the point of the pointlessness of the single speeder... ...takes a bow and leaves the auditorium.

[gets off soapbox]

Rumble":kfhspunb said:
Boring :roll:

tumblr_m7hafcbl4H1r35y2yo1_500.jpg

Chugnuts":32b34q09 said:
Maybe it's a case of plain old toretts or just social commentary, but I can't help myself that whenever I see a rider on a single speed bike that I glide majestically past whilst climbing a big hill I have to say out aloud and with utter conviction... "knob".

Nice of you to herald your arrival.

Anyway as for not being a sheep you could have a look HERE your are not the first to barely conceal their disgust at singlespeeds. Its fair to say you don't get it and I think we'll leave it at that. If you feel soapbox can take some more stomping resurrect one of the old threads or start another.

This thread is about kaiser's very nice bike, it's really not the place to get into yet another singlespeed debate. Let's leave it at that shall we?

I'm questioning the logic of usefulness of these things in everyday life and I think it only fair to mention this on a thread where one is being talked about :shrugs shoulders:

Back