Solo Eroica Effort

Johnsqual,

I intend to travel to l'eroica with 42-28t. Many say I should opt for lighter. That would imply I'll have to replace the Sugino Mighty for early Dura-Ace. Than I can have 39-28t as lowest. Last resort option is a MTB triple, but I prefer to absolutly not go that route.

What is your impression given your experience?

I am normally a big gear pusher and a quite good climber, but I've never been in Italy.

Nice story, thanks for sharing. Just one little nit pick
Johnsqual":3htsmz62 said:

4) Some of the descents are especially scary. There is a section going towards Asciano where the road is really gravelly, and I was glad I had done a bit of cyclocross because I needed to countersteer a lot just to stay upright. Really challenging on a road bike....
If you mean steering into the slide to correct a skid, that's not countersteering. Countersteering is what we all do all the time to make the bike lean (e.g. to go round a bend).

Chapeau! Very nice pictures.

There's something incredible about cycling in foreign lands. I remember struggling up a bastard climb near Les Jardins de Marqueyssac, a group of school kids on the side of the road eating sandwiches shouting "allez allez allez" as we peddled squares past them!

Elev12k":12w9mofd said:
Johnsqual,

I intend to travel to l'eroica with 42-28t. Many say I should opt for lighter. That would imply I'll have to replace the SR Mighty for early Dura-Ace. Than I can have 39-28t as lowest. Last resort option is a MTB triple, but I prefer to absolutly not go that route.

What is your impression given your experience?

I am normally a big gear pusher and a quite good climber, but I've never been in Italy.

Short answer: I'd go for a 39-28 if you can. An MTB triple is not necessary.

A bit more detail: I rode round with a 42-28, and I did manage ok. I only had to get off on one hill, when I was caught by a strong side wind that forced me into the sand-gravel at the edge of the road.

However, I had been riding in Italy for about 6 weeks so I was used to climbing in the heat by then. It was abnormally cool the day I went ('only' about 28c maximum, and it even rained a bit at one point). I'd also got very used to dosing my efforts on hard climbs, because I didn't have much choice - I had to make do with the gears I had.

If it's hot, you'd be grateful for a lighter gear so you don't over exert yourself, I reckon.

The Eroica parcours is in some ways quite similar to the RVV, the hard climbs are generally quite short, but steep, up to 15-20%.

Good luck with it anyway,

Johnny

Thank you for your answer Johnny. I will prepare an early Dura Ace crankset with 39t ring. I think it will fit without problems on the Sugino spindle, so that is no extra hurdle.

Bugger.... I'm going to have to look for something then. I thought 42/28 would be low enough. I'll have to see what I can fettle together

BTW, for those who want to add an extra challenge to their trip to L'Eroica,
I would recommend going to St Pellegrino in Alpe.
It is supposed to be the hardest climb in Tuscany, and probably harder than
most of the main TDF climbs.

You can make a really nice day out if you start from Lucca (worth visting in itself). When you get to Lucca, take the road North to Castelnuovo Garfagnana,
via Bagni di Lucca. The St Pellegrino climb begins on the outskirts of Castelnuovo, gentle at first, but the end has two long sections signposted at 18%. You can then take the long descent to Casteglioni Garfagnana, a beautiful and seemingly undiscovered little town. Follow the road back to Castelnuovo, then retrace your steps back to Lucca.

The climb seems to be relatively unknown - it doesn't seem to appear on Climb by Bike at all. The length is disputed - about 18km if you go through the village of St Pellegrino to the summit, I think.

When you get back to Lucca, go and check out the bike shop 'Poli' near the city walls. Have a look at the bikes hanging in the shed at the back - you won't be disappointed :D

I'd say this route is well worth doing if you're feeling fit and want to do a bit extra on top of L'Eroica.

Johnny

How long is that route Johnny?
I'm not sure I'll be up to it, as I want to save my legs for the main event, but I will want something to do on the Saturday, apart from look round the bike jumble!

Back