Turbo Training?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Having dislocated my collar bone last Sunday (Type 3 AC dislocation), I am determined not to lose any of my hard fought fitness (such as it is) and so I have borrowed my sons turbo trainer, slapped my trusty Yates Diabolo between the rollers and have just done my first 3/4 of an hour session.

Hells bells it's hard; after a five minute spinalongawarmup, I started in doing four minutes in the middle range on the top (48 tooth) ring and then a minute in seventh (11 tooth). I don't have a monitor, but I was keeping up a fast road cadence.

I have ridden harder on / off road, as I could not replicate lung busting type climbs, but I really worked up a sweat and ended up with a decent hear rate and panting like a Husky in a sauna.

I have a month of this, so if anyone has any tips on turbo training, then I'm keen to hear them.

Keep it up. I found turbo riding boring but it showed the difference when i went racing.
I must get either rollers or a turbo for this winter.

My son uses them all winter (and most of this summer), as he hates riding in the wet. He has all sorts of programmes he runs on his computer while riding, but I'm just trying to maintain my stamina.

I can ride indoors, but today I put the bike out on the patio and spent the time staring at either the clock or at a couple of small spiders in webs close by. They in turn spent the time staring back.

We have some rollers too, but they get pretty hot and they melted foot marks into the brand new carpet in my sons room. To say my wife was cross was an under statement, so I'm not too keen to pull them out again.

Any training tips for using the turbo? Do my five minute intervals sound OK? I am intending to work up to an hour or longer and will also push the one minute intervals up to two, as I get the hang of it. For now, I am trying not to rot the bike to its with my sweat :oops:

I did 10 min warm up then 30 mins hard then 10 min cool down. By the time i left my turbo behind i had a 45 min hard. Oh i used them every other day. On top of my ride to work which wasn't very long.

Wish i hadn't left them behind when i moved out. I wonder what my ex-landlord made of them?

My son has suggested music and videos, thanks for the links.

I'm going to be training every other day, and am looking at building from 30 to 60 minutes (if I can).

i always use to use a large floor standing fan,i think i got it from machine mart,it made life a lot better,also the extra heat build up from not moving will increase your heart rate and skew any pulse monitor results.

welcome to the AC seperation club did mine 2 years ago, was signed off work for 8 weeks and borrowed a turbo trainer to keep the fitness levels up found it tough at first well trying to set it all up with one arm in a sling wasn't easy but soon got into it, I found the http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ site a useful tool as it has some very good workouts on to keep you intrested, as the misses was at work set it up in lounge, laptop on a small table with turbotraining site in view and would put one of music channels on full blast...

Good luck hope you heal soon...

Jon has our big floor fan in his room, where the turbo usually lives. Today I was outside, but as there was almost no breeze at all, I think it was possibly worse than being indoors.

We have an unused spare bedroom at the back of the house, which is where the turbo will be, so fans, laptops music etc are all possible.

As far as the shoulder is concerned, they have signed me off for four weeks and the consultant told me to se my arm normally, so with the exception of riding (horse or bike) and driving (which we have to check with the insurers) I am doing as instructed. Of course if it hurts too much, then I stop. Not too sure about having a bump the size of a ping-pong ball on my shoulder, but there's not much I can do about that. :roll:

Thanks for all the tips, I shall have a good look and sort myself out some training schedules.

Stepping back 30 odd years it's nice to know that rollers / bodyguard / turbo trainer is still as boring....

still, something to do while the orthopod plans your surgery ...

Shaun

Back