Carbon fibre frame longevity

SiRvInO":3vozxpvd said:
People have this issue about carbon..yep a few break, they are the ones peeps go on about, ok carbon doesnt bend -

carbon does bend - the stays on the cannondale scalpel are made from it and have been for over 10 years - they are designed to flex providing rear suspension.

apparently when carbon fails. like aluminium, it gives no warning whereas steel will bend first.

there is a website showing broken components. about half are due to crashes so no big surprise then - roofracks carriers eems to be nasty to carbon frames :shock:

ok carbon doesnt bend

Try telling that to a fisherman.

L11_fishingrod.jpg

:D

I've got one of them there new fangled carbon fibre frames. Had it 4 years, no problems, no cracks and no rust. I doubt it will outlive a proberly painted and rust protected steel frame, but I'll have to wait 30 or 40 years to find out.

xerxes":21dbxy6o said:
I've got one of them there new fangled carbon fibre frames. Had it 4 years, no problems, no cracks and no rust. I doubt it will outlive a proberly painted and rust protected steel frame, but I'll have to wait 30 or 40 years to find out.

What have you got???

I would buy a used carbon frame even if riden hard.

Steel frames break, alu frames break, Ti frames break. No one frame material is in heraently prone to breaking more than any other, sopme designs are more prone to breaking but that a different matter.

bm0p700f":2tq51tmk said:
I would buy a used carbon frame even if riden hard.

Steel frames break, alu frames break, Ti frames break. No one frame material is in heraently prone to breaking more than any other, sopme designs are more prone to breaking but that a different matter.

Agree, but for me the decision is around risk and comeback. £2k+ with potnetially no comeback has me twitching.....interestingly Lapierre's warranty wording doesn't specify original owner......

I've had my DiamondBack WCF 4.0 for nearly 15 years, jumped it, ridden hard, big air, crashed it, no problem. Not got a worry about carbon.

I also work in the marine industry, and they use a lot of carbon in racing yachts, and it takes a serious hammering

Back