Need help choosing ......

SPR

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon ....

I'm getting back into the saddle and as its 8 years since I did any serious riding I'm out of touch a little.

I used to ride a Kona Lavadome 2001 which was OK if a little small under me being steel as I'm 6'1" and not thin

So advice needed on what bike to get - don't want a new one and have been looking at:

Klein Attitude (not a museum super expensive one)
Gary Fisher Paragon

All around the year 1998 -2002 ish

Been offered a paragon which is excellent but don't know what they are worth any ideas welcome

Also any other models that have the same sort of frame setup / riding experience as the Lavadome

Thanks

Simon

Hi, welcome to Retrobike. If you liked the lavadome, you could always go for another Kona. I don't think the steel is an issue, and if you wanted a bigger frame one would be fairly easy to get. What sort of budget do you have as this will obviously determine what you get.

Also were you looking for full sus or hardtail? If I was you I'd get another Kona, There's often a few for sale here and the late 90's early 00's alu models seem to be quite cheap.

markwashington":17nnvo8o said:
Hi, welcome to Retrobike. If you liked the lavadome, you could always go for another Kona. I don't think the steel is an issue, and if you wanted a bigger frame one would be fairly easy to get. What sort of budget do you have as this will obviously determine what you get.

Also were you looking for full sus or hardtail? If I was you I'd get another Kona, There's often a few for sale here and the late 90's early 00's alu models seem to be quite cheap.

I really want a hardtail .... I presume front suspension is a must as I was on P2 forks before

Budget is up to £750 ish

The GF Paragon is a very good bike and a darn site cheaper than a Klein. What about a Marin....I'm biased as they have been my brand of choice for over 20 years! But maybe if your looking newer a Marin Eldridge Grade or similar... If you can get the Paragon for a good price, why not have it whilst you get back into riding. And riding it will give you an idea of what you like/dislike and you could always re sell it and buy something that fits you better. Or it may be fine! The important thing is to get back out there and ride. You'll soon see that personally for me front suss forks is a must...just getting old and can't take the boneshaker rides that I used BITD! (doesn't stop me buying them!)

All the best

Doug

wookiee":1jpl7v8r said:
The GF Paragon is a very good bike and a darn site cheaper than a Klein. What about a Marin....I'm biased as they have been my brand of choice for over 20 years! But maybe if your looking newer a Marin Eldridge Grade or similar... If you can get the Paragon for a good price, why not have it whilst you get back into riding. And riding it will give you an idea of what you like/dislike and you could always re sell it and buy something that fits you better. Or it may be fine! The important thing is to get back out there and ride. You'll soon see that personally for me front suss forks is a must...just getting old and can't take the boneshaker rides that I used BITD! (doesn't stop me buying them!)

All the best

Doug

Thanks Doug - any idea on a good price for the paragon

What year is the one you are looking at spec etc...I had one a while back a 1998 admittedly but still get good reviews etc and was silly light aswell!

wookiee":2qllmy0l said:
What year is the one you are looking at spec etc...I had one a while back a 1998 admittedly but still get good reviews etc and was silly light aswell!

2000 standard spec as when new

Chain Set Bontrager Race
Pedals Bontrager RE -1
Wheels Bontrager Race
Bars Bontrager Superstock 620
Stem Bontrager
Seatpost Bontrager Comp 2014 T6
Tyres WTB Nanoraptor 2.1
Saddle WTB SSTX2
Forks Rock Shox Judy
Rear Mech Shimano XT
Front Mech Shimano LX
Brake Levers Shimano LX
Brake Calipers Avid 20

Ok

Well looking at a 2000 that was around £800-900 new. I would say that they spent the money where it counts decent rear mech and a great basis in the frame the 1998 I had was such a light frame. Assuming it all works ok I would estimate its value at £150-£200. Its hard to tell with out seeing it, whether it has any upgrades etc...

Hope this helps

Wook

wookiee":3jp21s7v said:
Ok

Well looking at a 2000 that was around £800-900 new. I would say that they spent the money where it counts decent rear mech and a great basis in the frame the 1998 I had was such a light frame. Assuming it all works ok I would estimate its value at £150-£200. Its hard to tell with out seeing it, whether it has any upgrades etc...

Hope this helps

Wook

Thanks !!

Back