Carbon fibre frame longevity

Paul Eggleton

Retro Guru
I've seen a 2nd hand 2012 Lapierre Spicy 916 at fair but still expensive price. Looks almost new, owner is stating it hasn't been ridden much, but I know he was into his enduro and downhilling. The alternative is a new Zesty 714 at a few hundred quid more.....

The spicy just looks amazing and I'd love it but I'd have this niggling doubt about how hard the frame had been ridden etc and how I'd feel 6months down the line if it broke. Ŵith the new zesty there would be some comeback for a period of time.

What are folks experience with 2nd hand carbon frames??? Would you feel happy about spending large money on a 2nd hand one???

Thanks

I wouldn't buy if i thought it had been ridden hard. My pre-owned frames were all un-used.
ANd the frames i've sold have been ridden by me so i can sell with confidence that their will be no problems.

tintin40":14sq8h8z said:
I wouldn't buy if i thought it had been ridden hard. My pre-owned frames were all un-used.
ANd the frames i've sold have been ridden by me so i can sell with confidence that their will be no problems.

Have you seen many modern carbon frames break?? Other than Yeti 575 stays ;)

Beware of frames that have a 'lifetime' warranty. Read the small print and it will say the lifetime of the frame and not the lifetime of the owner. A frames lifetime warranty normally expires just before it fails.

Paul Eggleton":3qjxnubz said:
Have you seen many modern carbon frames break

Yes if you go on the correct web sites. I only ride Trimble so the rest is of very little interest.
Modern cheap carbon all seem to come from China.

if the item looks in good clean condition, you can not ever be sure what sort of life it has, even a car that has had no accidents could have been ragged on the track but then polished up and you'd never know.

i've bought (stopping to count ....) 4 carbon frame bikes, one of which was new, 2 hardly used as can be seen by lack of any noticeable marks or wear and am not worried about any failures.

go in daylight and take a good long look at the frames for any marks - remove the chainstray protector too and then decide.

02gf74":2w06ndj5 said:
if the item looks in good clean condition, you can not ever be sure what sort of life it has, even a car that has had no accidents could have been ragged on the track but then polished up and you'd never know.

i've bought (stopping to count ....) 4 carbon frame bikes, one of which was new, 2 hardly used as can be seen by lack of any noticeable marks or wear and am not worried about any failures.

go in daylight and take a good long look at the frames for any marks - remove the chainstray protector too and then decide.

I think you're right; you've got to be a) pragmatic and b) do your homework. If you search the web long and hard enough you find failure stories for most things.

People have this issue about carbon..yep a few break, they are the ones peeps go on about, ok carbon doesnt bend -

But then again, steel breaks, it bends, it goes rusty

Aluminium breaks, oxidises and age hardens

Titanium is expensive but lasts a lifetime

I've had carbon forks, seatpost and h'bars for years, its a tough material, have you ever tried to hacksaw a carbon steerer...

I would be more scared of the lightweight steel frames out there, that rust internally..

Plus the larger frame producers have $$$$$ to spend on R&D, something the niche custom frame builders dont....

Sorry if I'm ranting a bit......

Recommended you change carbon forks after 3 years.
Damage to carbon -Use resin to seal it from the elements[IMPORTANT]

Back