Single Speed Build - To restore or not to restore?

It's a pretty frame though, clearances or not. It will make a pretty good singlespeed in my opinion, and be bulletproof.

If it's currently got 27" wheels then I agree that there will be no chance of the brakes reaching a 700c rim. There's only 4mm difference, but I can see your back brake is already down at the bottom of the slot. 700c's will also look very small on that frame because of the wide clearances.

You could possibly convert to 700c wheels if you could find long enough brakes, but there's not a lot of point spending money on this bike. I wouldn't buy a new wheelset at any cost - the current wheels are perfectly serviceable. Just remove the 5sp block and fit a cheap BMX singlespeed freewheel.

I would:
Saddle and seatpost, obviously
Get some new 27" tyres
Fit some pedals with clips and straps if you can find them cheaply
Fit a singlespeed freewheel
Fit mudguards and a rack if you can find them cheaply
New bar tape
Give it a mechanical overhaul and find a bolt for the stem (or cheap secondhand stem)
Clean it, T-Cut the paint, Autosol on the metal bits, turtle wax the frame so it shines

Then I would just enjoy it as it is - for everyday riding, this bike will be perfect.

Cheers. I'm raw'ing the paint off of it and making it a silver colour. As for wheels, I have a spare set of 27" in the other room, so they'll go on it. Just hope the single speed works without having to re-dish and re-space.

This is what's been done so far, now to sand off the rest.

p4pb8527477.jpg

If you're going for a bare-metal finish, then thin linseed oil (from an artist's supply shop, not the thick orange stuff) will provide excellent protection - it dries to a hard finish, doesn't rub or scrape off easily, and if it does you can just re-apply it with a rag. You can also pour it inside the tubes to protect against internal rust. Two coats protected my Carlton from June to March with absolutely no rust underneath.

The thick orange boiled stuff also works, but it has an orangey finish with repeated applications.

i have beening after those on ebay keep getting out bided worth 100+ from what i saw on ebay worth doing tho if even to keep for yourself :)

if you stripping it why don't you have the brake cross member brazed lower so you can use a 700c wheel. i had it done years ago on a claude butler elan in the late 80's.
cheers dave

If I was desperate to put 700c wheels on I'd use a rear coaster brake and fit a different set of forks. I'm with Lae on this one though spend as little as possible, fit mudguards to fill the massive void (700c would allow you to drive a bus through), etc.

Back