1987 little FatChance - 24" rear wheel

24pouces

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
It was really not serious but I have won this frame on ebay.
It was quite NOS, never built, 15" sized and the geometry is for a 24" rear wheel. The bike was sold as a "trial" bike, but I saw on 1987 Fat catalogs and in the MOMBAT, that small sized FAT were built for such a rear little wheel.

The paint job didn't love time and I had to change the original black for a funniest purple. Gil made me some stunning neon green decals, and I have built this bike for riding in Villard de Lans for the 25th anniversary of the first mtb worldchampion ship.

Now, pictures…

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/155108littlefat10.jpg[/img]
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/159577littlefat18.jpg[/img]

Great job , looks really great and allot of fun , I never understood why the built these ,but would love to have a play on one :D

theredchili":3va8es22 said:
I never understood why the built these ,but would love to have a play on one :D
You don't understand the 24" rear wheel ?

Today with mtb which become to seem road bike with huge (hugly) wheels, rear 24" wheels are UFO :LOL:
The bike is a dragster and clim every where. But as writen in the catalog, 24" was a solution for making very small frame. The front 26" wheel keep the bike more stable.

Rear wheel

A lot of makers did these BITD, Spesh did some on their Big Hit DH too. The smaller rear wheel gives better acceleration and before there was much more than a 28 rear ratio, it gave lower gearing.
There was a time whem manufacturers tried 24 both ends, but taller wider section tyres, same diameter as normal 26'rs, but more traction and shock absorption, but tye manufacturers were slow to get up to speed, so it died.
Very nice build and bike BTW. How's the Mavic mechs work? Have a front the same.

:?:
Who got a 1987 FAT ?
I love the bonty fork, but I would really know the height of a FAT fork (axle to base plate). I would think it would be under 390mm…

Back