Raleigh Gran Sport 1983 Re-Finish Different Colour

cipolinni

Old School Grand Master
Hi All
Ok,some of you might think you bloody fool,stripping,painting different colour.
Iv'e restored most of my bikes to original spec,fancied doing something differently
It was in such a state,i decided not to bin it.
The original Gran Sport was finished in a Camel colour with Campagnolo Gran Sport components throughout
It was listed in the 1982 catalogue as one down from the flagship team version.
Reynolds 531c frame/forks

So a bit of hard graft d.i.y on the frame,forks are fine,good chrome.
Rubbed down frame lightly,removed all rust,primer followed by Olympic white top coat with blue headstock and laquered.
I absolutely love it,
This is going to be my training ride for winter
A mixture of components,Shimano 600 tricolor chainset,Exage300ex front/rear mechs.tdc headset,Gipiemme strada bb,Mavic MA40 rims with Campagnolo Record hubs/Vredestein tyres,Cinelli bars and stem,Campagnolo chorus aero seat post
Looking for some nice aero brake calipers and levers,Saddle and bar tape to finish

Hope you like it,be nice to me!!!!!
Pictures to follow on completion
Cipo

Attachments

• DSCF2153.jpg
    DSCF2153.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 776
  • DSCF2152.jpg
    DSCF2152.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 776
  • DSCF2151.jpg
    DSCF2151.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 776
  • DSCF2150.jpg
    DSCF2150.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 776
Heretic! :D. I was never much of a fan of the original colour, even going as far as covering my ?82 edition with silver sellotape :roll: :cool:. Looked great tho...

Seriously, looks fine, and they're a great ride to boot.

To the b***** that pinched mine in 1991 - I'm still lookin for ye... :twisted:

When i aquired the gran sport it was in a terrible mess,how people can neglect such pieces of art is beyond me.
I didn't want to restore to original spec,too costly.
The seat post was stuck,frame covered in scratches,rust.
wheels were shot,components rusted to death.
Quite a bit of work to go yet,but looking forward to complete and ride.

When I was a lad I lusted after a Gran Sport but had to settle for a Competition instead :cry:.

Shame you couldn't rescue the components at least but I do like the new colours. I've not seen a Gran Sport with a chromed rear end before.

Looking forward to the end result.

Mark.
PS: Isn't that Gipiemme bottom bracket going to be wrong for a Shimano chainset, ISO vs JIS taper and all that?

raleigh

Hi
It looks ok,everything seems to be working fine nice and tight
Is there anything i need to check or look out for

I think the Shimano cranks push further onto the axle than they would on a JIS taper but other than bringing the chainrings closer to the frame I'm not sure if there's any real problem. The angle of the taper is different so in theory you don't get as good as fit between the axle and cranks. Sheldon Brown has something to say on it but I can't access his site from work.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbtaper.html

Mark.

raleigh

aahh i see
Thanks for the info,but it looks fine,popped a chain on and chainline looks fine,plenty of clearance between rings and frame.
Cipo

Back