1991 Cannondale SM700 - Black with Lime Splatter

GhostyDog

Dirt Disciple
Hi RetroBikers,

New here and starting to get my old Cannondale back on the road, I've had the bike since 1991, purchased off a mates dad who bought it to keep fit but never road it, and as a teenager the bike got some serious (ab)use.

It's pretty much standard, paint is in relatively good condition considering the stuff I used to do on it so really it's just a case of getting it sorted and reliable again.

Got a couple of ways of going about this, back in the day I used to spend hours in the local bike shop ogling groupsets in shiny display cases and the one I lusted after was the Shimano XTR Group, having looked on eBay this seems to be a bit of a rarity in good condition and my hopes of finding some original unused bits in the backof someones bike shop somewhere are probably unrealistic by now.

So the alternative is take it back to standard, and replace any of the existing standard bits that are tired and worn to get the bike more 'original' and less tired and worn.

Which way would you go?

I haven't actively cycled in years, but due to a change in circs I have a bit of free tIme to invest into this and maybe reignite my passion for offroading and cycling down sheer drops in 21st as fast as I can.

Here are some pics of the bike in question, i've already replaced the grips before anyone says anything.

c76f563f.jpg

71bf7799.jpg

4d562f10.jpg

:D

Oh, how do Cannondale of this vintage size frames, based on the generic guides I've read it could be a 15" or 18" frame.

Cheers

Sean

Just bought some new tyres for it, the old panaracer hybrids on it didn't last a ride round the neighbourhood.

Partially because a rear brake block was catching the tyre and cut through it and the tube in no time at all :(

I thought it was just catching the rim as it is slightly out of true.

Anyhow, got me some neon green Tyres from Curio and new tubes as the nes in the bike are probably 15 years old.

:)

Now, to get the rims chemically blacked or not...

GhostyDog":3c8esnc9 said:
Oh, how do Cannondale of this vintage size frames, based on the generic guides I've read it could be a 15" or 18" frame.

It's a 18" ;)
You could find all informations, detail or catalogs there

Very cool!!!

I had one of these in the very same color scheme as well as a black '88 SM600 (24"/26" wheels).

Really great bike and always went exactly where it was pointed on the tight, twisty trails.

:D Nice, I've got a M400 from the same era, looks very similar in frame and spec actually....... mine is in slightly less original condition though. :LOL:
I'm going down the retro commutery type route, using mostly (well, all really!) Shimano stuff, as era-matched as I can find on my miserable bastard budget! ;)

Cheers guys,

Thanks for the cannondale link :D

Nelly, think ill do the same, i have a fairly new Felt as well as this and do prefer the newer shifters and mechs but the deores stuff has held up well.

Sean

GhostyDog":20nc36tk said:
merckx":20nc36tk said:
its crying out for a pepperoni fork upgrade! :D

What is a pepperoni fork?

Pepperoni forks were fat bugga's that Cannondale made. In fact here's a pic of my mates Green cameleon with peps.

Attachments

• 45832_1605367451648_5822000_n.jpg
    45832_1605367451648_5822000_n.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5,148
Back