Not So New Build - Genesis Fortitude - 2 Years In

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning All,

First thing this morning snapped a few pics of my freshly built Genesis Fortitude Adventure

Before I go any further the steerer will be cut at lunchtime!

I have had a couple of 29ers and despite being 6' 3'' never got on with them :?

When I saw the Fortitude range I like the idea of a non suspension corrected frame to keep the front end low.

I had most of the bits for a build - I needed a wheel build but thats all - so I went with the frame only option.

I managed to get a dusk ride in last night and whilst not being light in the slightest defies its weight but just rolling over everything!

First proper ride will be tomorrow.

A bit of a mish mash of parts but ......

ST830239.jpg

ST830241.jpg

I already had the fork as I have a fat front wheel for this build too - I have to say I am happy to find a Knard will fit in the forks too!

ST830242.jpg

Edit - Fat frontage pic

ST830243.jpg

Grass needs cutting I know :LOL:

A big thank you to the guys at 18 Bikes and the guys (and gals) at Revel Outdoors

Love it :D thinking of doing this with my 29er. Do you like the alfine BTW?

Tell us more about that fat rim and tyre. Is it a trials rim?

kaiser":2cj9xxth said:
Love it :D thinking of doing this with my 29er. Do you like the alfine BTW?

Thank you :)

The alfine is good.

Its not "better" than a std mech set up in my mind but is easier to maintain etc.

I had this alfine hub on my 26'' Pace and ran it 32:18 but have dropped that down to 29:18 to take into account the larger tyres.

I am also having a SS wheel build up to give that a try too :cool:

kaiser":35ri8utp said:
Tell us more about that fat rim and tyre. Is it a trials rim?

Viz trials rim 48mm wide (£20)

Second hand ( not that you would know ) Vee Ruber tyre - a full 4 inches :LOL: :oops:

Its just a bit of fun really.

Will replace it when the Knard tyres become available. Already have my 29'' 48mm wide rim :shock:

Well I have had this built up for a while now and been putting in the miles in the evenings :)

The first thing I have noticed after a bit of tweaking (bar position and grips) is that its a very comfortable ride. Given the fact its fully rigid running reasonably firm tyres I am surprised.

Despite its sizable heft (just under 28lbs) it doesn't feel it once up and running. The Alfine hub has a couple of hundred miles on it now and has become quite smooth - it was a little "sticky" to start.

I reckon without going crazy low 27lbs or even sub 27lbs would be possible.

A little more tyre clearance and it would be even better.

A couple of (rubbish) pics .......

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

On a recent RB ride LGF and Neil look less than enthused by my modern'ness!

30_years_apart_123.jpg

But the wildlife does love a 29er ....

passenger_132.jpg

coomber":1mkydghb said:
So how is this coming on? Converted you to 29er's then?

100% converted (I am a fickle creature)

Made a few changes ...

2.4'' Ardent now running on a 29er Flow rim and bolt through hub.

762mm wide flat bars and shorter stem.

The bike flys despite its hefty girth ;)

Now to just finish my Solaris :LOL:

Looks good-Quite fancy one of these as my first foray into 29ers. I'd go for the SS one probably, though I prefer the green!

I'd be interested to see how this compares to the Solaris. Are you going for suspension on the Cotic?

Back