1X10 is it any good and worth it?

Go with what suits you. I ride 2x10 & 2 x 8 covers most me for . 1 x 10 sounds to limiting to me

Don't forget that with a 3x9/10 set up there are loads of repeated ratios so you're not really getting lots of gears.

I agree with Josh that a 3x set up is pointless. I can see the point in a 2x set up if you're riding up really big hills. A granny ring will be handy then.

Forgot to add that I run a 34 tooth front ring with an 11-36 cassette. It's fine on all but the longest drags. It works for my longer rides as well as mucking about in the woods on jumps and stuff.

Mindmap3":kiytqpfr said:
Don't forget that with a 3x9/10 set up there are loads of repeated ratios so you're not really getting lots of gears.

I agree with Josh that a 3x set up is pointless. I can see the point in a 2x set up if you're riding up really big hills. A granny ring will be handy then.

It's not pointless if you use all the gears, which I do. If I only rode off road then I might consider 2x10 if it came on a new bike but I certainly wouldn't swap a 3x set up for 2x. I can't see why you'd spend the money to gain very little.

Does 1x not cause really heavy chain wear due to the angles you'll have in the chainline when you use top and bottom at the rear?

Forgot to add that I run a 34 tooth front ring with an 11-36 cassette. It's fine on all but the longest drags. It works for my longer rides as well as mucking about in the woods on jumps and stuff.

Tazio":1mpw3ehe said:
Does 1x not cause really heavy chain wear due to the angles you'll have in the chainline when you use top and bottom at the rear?

Don't think so...certainly no worse than using your middle ring the majority of the time. It's better these days because Race Face cranks have axle spacers to help improve the chain line further.

It's certainly a hot topic. I dint think it's the second coming like the press are pushing it as, especially when many people have been doing it for ages. I think the big benefits are improved clearance, no chain suck, less cables and clutter. But at the expense of really easy gears for getting up steep stuff. If I still lived in the peaks, I would probably still be running a 2x set up.

I was running 1x7 on a bike for getting around town, with a 34 up front and a roadie cassette at the back. It was good for that though I used to spin out a lot on downhill bits. I used it off road a few times and it was fine without a chain guide.

Mindmap3":3ronozf3 said:
Tazio":3ronozf3 said:

Don't think so...certainly no worse than using your middle ring the majority of the time. It's better these days because Race Face cranks have axle spacers to help improve the chain line further.

It's certainly a hot topic. I dint think it's the second coming like the press are pushing it as, especially when many people have been doing it for ages. I think the big benefits are improved clearance, no chain suck, less cables and clutter. But at the expense of really easy gears for getting up steep stuff. If I still lived in the peaks, I would probably still be running a 2x set up.

I have to agree about taking where you live into consideration.

Back