1X10 is it any good and worth it?

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey I'm building a new yeti 575 and I'm looking in to the gearing, 1x10 2x10 3x10? My mate loves his 1x10 set up and reckons I should do that too? My question is, is 1x10 any good for an all round bike for all day rides up and downhills or should I just go with my idea or the 3x10? Opinions please! Thanks Rob

3x10 is the most logical choice. You can go up the mountain, and go faster down the mountain before you run out of gears. 3x10 also has the advantage that the chain can run straight more often.

This whole 1x10 and 1x11 setup is basically the result of 29ers failing to combine a triple crankset with a reasonable chainstay length.

The majority of my riding is done in the middle ring, on the rare occasions I go into granny I'm only going snail pace so could just push! Big ring is road and dh to keep the chain taut, so I could easily go 1 x 9 really.

You know how you ride though.

Really depends on the terrain. In Holland I always run 1x9, which is absolutely fine, and yes, we do have some climbs, they are just not that long. The Belgian Ardennes could even de done with 1x9. In Italy I really need 3x9; hills are steeper and longer, as are the descents. The use for 3x10 goes a bit past me, as it just means more critical shifting and weaker chain. 1x10 I can understand, I would prefer that to 2x9 for instance.

Don't see the point in 3x9 / 10 set ups. Can't remember the last time I missed having a big ring to catch on things.

With regards to the whole 1x thing, you need to consider the riding you do; if you do big epic rides you'll miss having a greater range of gears, likewise if you ride up steep or long climbs it'll do your head in.

I love mine though, it works for me because the terrain in the midlands isn't that steep so I can ride up everything. A lot of my rides are only for a few hours so it's fine. I do find though that as I tire, the climbs get worse and I wish I had a granny ring. But, it is quieter, no dropped chains on the rougher stuff and the chain line is good.

I guess oop north and 2x set up would make sense. That's what I ran when I lived in Sheffield and it was fine, rarely did I miss the big ring. But a lot of the downs I rode were quite techy so a 44 tooth ring was a hindrance.

I've got 1x9 on the hard tail as I'd had problems with chain suck. It works well, I've still got 3x9 on my (older) 575. I prefer the options for all day stuff. Given the wider range available I think 2x10 is the way to go next year with shadow plus mechs

Thank you all for the advice! I'm gonna have a think, originally I was gonna buy a complete slx 30 speed group but will consider 2x10 I think.

Im on 1x9 for geared bikes (have an SS too). I like the simplicity of no left hand shifter and stuff. Used to always drop chains so now always run chain device which could be problematic with a front mech. My 1x9 adventure bike has a 36t chainring and 11-34t cassette which is actually plenty for me.
I just dont see the point in more. Sure a big ring could be good (not for me) but for the amount of use most outer rings see on a triple setup, it really isnt worth using. At least for an mtb, if your using outer ring and high gears very regularly off road then i reckon something isnt right.
I'd recommend a 1x9 setup - maybe start with a 34t ring and 11-32t cassette.
If its too tough you either get on with it and build fitness to suit, or you fall over at the side of the track (and probably mutter something like i wont let this beat me, and then return another day until you do that hill.

Hmm josh its something I'm gonna have to think about, gonna get te front end built up first, (need cash to but forks yet) then will think gearing.

Must admit I can't really see the point of going from my current 3x10 to 2x or 1x :? I could maybe see it if I had a bike I only used for a quick bash but I use my 5 for everything and at different points use the full spread of gears.

Can't see it'd save much weight (well, maybe 1x) and have come to the conclusion it's a bit of a fashion thing (like those silly 29ers). Why would you give up the flexibility of 3x for very little gain :?

Back