Yo-Eddy parts bin special

mkaavin":x8xuoser said:
You guys are just getting too old to ride your retrobikes.... :-D

you might be not be too far from the truth in my case : ) I'll ease off a bit when I hit 60 (in 7 yrs time :oops: )

saw this yesterday
stunning ,re-ignited my fat interest
seemed to go well too

Kona Tone":17zbmp1f said:
mkaavin":17zbmp1f said:
You guys are just getting too old to ride your retrobikes.... :-D

you might be not be too far from the truth in my case : ) I'll ease off a bit when I hit 60 (in 7 yrs time :oops: )

Great! :) and no need to ease off at 60..........80 maybe! :D

So I had the first run out yesterday of the Yo at the MacRetro National. First impressions were that the front was a bit light on the climbs, I was thinking an inline post and 0deg rise stem may help. As the day went on though I seemed to get more in tune with what was happening and the initial lightness disappeared. Comfort wise there was not a problem at all so getting lower at the front shouldn't be too much of an issue. Overall I'm really pleased with the fit and most definitely with the ride. I wasn't expecting too much when going down but the bike handled superbly and again just seemed to get better and better. Its true what they say and there is magic in them tubes :) My only handling criticism was the bars, they are just too narrow, I need to find something retro and wide(r).

My only problem was one of gearing, a slippy freehub in my lower two gears and a slightly too big granny left me running out of legs a bit too quick.Some new hoops are on the cards anyway.

Overall I'm really really chuffed, on a normal ride I'd always pick out a modern but I can see me riding this a whole lot more than my other retro's and maybe even my other bikes.

At the top of Minch Moor

7815987426_d9dece3171_b.jpg

Re:

Had the Yo out to day for a bit of a shakedown ride. A few of us in MacRetro have entered 10 under the Ben and as its the 10th anniversary they are having a retro class and the Yo shall be my bike of choice. I've a new pair of wheels fitted now which I'm afraid to say have modern rims (Stans 355) laced to a pair of Hope Ti hubs, and after a puncture today will probably be run tubeless very soon. Joining the tubeless conversion on the jobs to do shortlist is (I've still) to source a new post and I think I'm going to try to find an appropriate riser bar, just seems to be too much weight over the front and on my hands. I'm still needing a few more lower gears so a new cassette is on the cards and I've just managed to get some new brake inserts (Cheers FMJ). I think the Ourys will finally make way for my new favourite grip ESI Silicone too. Oh and even though I knew they were deadly I tried to Conti Twister tyres I had again.....back in the cupboard for another couple of year I think :facepalm:

Drum Retro 029 by Bigbroondug, on Flickr

Back