1993/4 Orange Prestige - considering changing spec page3

ace machine you have there mark, not over done, just nice :cool:

i know it will see some rocks too, been a while since we saw you last. ;)

never mind all this 'having a life' business. :)

marc.

Thanks Brocklanders :) , and thanks Marc, glad you remember me! Yeah it has been a while, I've not been biking half as much as I'd like, commuting maybe but trips out are rare, I'm hoping to get out on my Cotic sometime soon, and this needs a Retro Bike ride if I feel tough enough! :oops: :LOL: Yep I'm well overdue. hope to see you soonish mate.

Yeah the build evolved nicely, I can't really do OTT/random though some have been surprised by my Cotic build and colourways and my Kwak green SS build is quite loud but theres defo a non crazy style in the details on all the creations.

I really don't know if I can do this again though on a retro, parts vulturing! Theres a few builds that need the works inc paint...!

Prestige

Nice work there, but I would make a few more Comp' swaps, to drop a lot of weight and look better!
Smoke and Dart tyres are really really heavy and slow rolling covers, be much lighter and faster rolling with some Mythos, Folding Porcs or Conti folders.
The rear mech will weigh a ton and some, with that long steel cage, go for a mid cage M900 or M732.
I would also ditch the Syncros post in favour of a USE or X-lite. A USE in Purple would tone far better with the Ringle stem. The Ringle and Syncros clash badly. Grey Flite would also tone better.
Lovely frame though.

Thanks for the tips. :) The Purple USE didn't look right though, maybe cos it was faded. I don't mind the black vs purple but maybe I got used to it! If your right about the Flite, then I really do NEED an early Orange/White Clockwork to build to put this on!

Might go with the tips for tyres and mech n stuff now the initial shoot is done. I have an XT mech but its prob quite heavy too...

evolution!
:D

love the three year gap in this thread then bang... lovely shinney bike.

your bike so ride it as you like it. For me i would love to see some of the black (post/head stack) swapped for silver... as them forks just look the bomb.

Mid cage

Unless you run a really wide rear Cassette (I use 11-26 or 12-2:cool: a mid or short mtb mech will result in less chain slap, weight and much snappier changes.
On the post you need a bright 3 DV one. Faded is no good, or a Silver/Ti one would look better IMHO ;) Frame weight is great for a larger size.
These quality English built frames were the Biz, along with all the other UK builders BITD :D and as good if not better than anything from the US back then.

Those lx rear mechs are not as heavy as they might seem. I'm sure there are lighter ones, but p7 is very happy with one on it. Especially with an srp hanger bolt ;-)

Lovely build and good choice of colours. The cranks look awesome.

p.s I like the flite as it looks sort of tan coloured and seems to go with the gold on your cranks. In one pic it looks orange though? A silver seatpost might be worth a try maybe?

raymondluxuryyacht":24l9tjlc said:
Those lx rear mechs are not as heavy as they might seem. I'm sure there are lighter ones, but p7 is very happy with one on it. Especially with an srp hanger bolt ;-)

Lovely build and good choice of colours. The cranks look awesome.

p.s I like the flite as it looks sort of tan coloured and seems to go with the gold on your cranks. In one pic it looks orange though? A silver seatpost might be worth a try maybe?

Last one I weighed, admittedly with a steel bolt was 370 or more grams. The weight of the cage makes them slap around badly too on bumpy trails. A nice mid cage M732 or m900 is about 225 235, that's a third of a pound in old money, significant and worth the saving. BB is the other best way to save weight, nice Ti ones run out 150-180g, Shimano, reliable as they are 250 to 400 plus depending on model and axle length.

Re: 1993/4 Orange Prestige - Now Complete.

Yo Yo! Well I've not had a lot of time to ride at all, sorry chaps will get back on the Retro horse at some point. It's been mothballed while I casually get the spec better, which is something I have been able to do.
There was some good feedback on the build so thought I'd post here to share my ideas.
I've other bikes I'm building naturally (obvs!) but I also have a 98ish P7 to build too which will become what this was originally going to be, a good all round XC retro, rather than a Posher race ready retro. They are both moving to an XT build but still a mix really so I'm thinking about what's going where. I think I'd like to get this up to XT spec mostly m737.

* I can replace the Mechs with decent used M737 XT now (The shifters are already XT)

* I have a m737 crankset and BB, and an M730 crankset (both need a good polish up really), plan is to move the Middleburn over to the P7, only problem with the M737 is that it's compact rings and I went to the effort of getting a 110 spider on Middleburn to fit the Pace outer ring. I could put the Pace ring on the M730 instead, would that be wrong going with an older but classic long standing crank? Or any good compact rings to consider with the m737? I'm going round in circles with it a bit! :D
EDIT: I might have a good solution on the way now a M900 Crankset. 110BCD and available in 1993/4 and top notch. Hopefully it's solid and will polish up nicely.
IMG_20170501_174729_zps4y5psx1c.jpg

* Current wheels are really nice new 94 Black Parallex Deore LX with 317 Rims. I have some m738 hubs (32h) with heavy duty (d521) Mavic rims I could rebuild with lighter period rims? pity though as they are great wheels already. I have another set of 94 LX Black hubs too.
Suggestions on a post card

* Tyres, I'm not sure what to go for, ??? and they'll probably be black wall to save on amber wall tax...

* I have a black original Flite available or a black TI Velo (similar to my bike BITD) somewhere.

* I have a nice Answer silver seatpost to swap in 27.2

* I have polished spacers too.

* Finally I've just picked up a Cane Creek 40 Series EC 30 1 " Headset, so swapping that is an option too...

Back