Load blowers

FMJ

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'll preface this tale by saying I got home from work Monday evening and it was raining so I did intrevals on the bike I keep on a mag trainer in my kitchen. Legs felt a bit gelatinous Tuesday, so I figured I'd do a nice easy spin along the lakeshore. During the easy spin, half a dozen women in shop kit out on a training ride came up behind me and passed me. Instead of acting like a macho jerk (but not wanting to miss out on the scenery), I cranked it up and rode for a bit with them, chatting with a cute blonde at the back of the group. Nice girl. Great sense of humour.

Wednesday, legs are a bit sore, again (so much for spinning Tuesday), so I decide to do the same loop, promising myself I'll stay spinning in the small ring and give the legs a rest. I'm riding along, and Ricky Racer on a new RM MTB comes up behind me and lays down the "pass of death" on me (keep in mind I'm pretty unassuming, riding an old SR equipped Bottecchia, a pair of old Peugeot shorts, an old Merlin T w. the sleeves cut off, and a bandana). He goes off about 150 ft. ahead, stays there, the starts to come back to me (I'm keeping the same cadence all the time). I catch up to him, he glaces over his shoulder and see's me coming and pops up on to the sidewalk, huffing and puffing. "what's that on yer top tube? Looks like you blew yer load, bud." Same thing happened when I was almost home. Guy on a shiny new CF Pinarello lays the smack down on me, only to fall apart a minute later. Entertaining couple of guys, to say the least.

I did chat for a few seconds at a light downtown with a woman in her mid sixties on a nice Pinarello w. full Dura Ace while on the ride. Nice lady, and a beautiful bike.

This is why I never blow past old dudes on old bikes. they got that way for a reason.

:LOL:

And also why its important to smile and say hello to everyone.

That happens here all the time, especially when we are using the road to start the climb up to the dirt that day. It usually happens right at or near the bottom of the big climbs around here, they usually blast on by, get a gap of maybe 20-50 yards, then sit back down and slow down-at which point we usually catch and pass them back with a nice smile and nod! However, there are plenty of strong young guys around here that blast on by us and keep on blasting out of sight, also....

To not become a load blower you must first cruise behind the person to be overtaken for a short while while you figure out whether you can zoom on or will just get overtaken again.

I saw the title and thought my ex had joined

anyway ..sorry for the interuption

The irony of the positioning of this thread next to the Telly Totty thread, is not entirely lost on me ;)

:LOL: :LOL:

G

Awesome amazing comment!

kv.gif

The strongest cyclists in Edinburgh are pretty young female students. They all ride old bikes that weigh a ton but but were bought because they look "cute". Chuck a basket on the front and never change gear but keep grinding away no matter what hill they are on. They are unstoppable.

and of course like cyfa you follow them for a short distance to see if you can get past them ;)

Latest posts

Back