1993/4 Orange Prestige - considering changing spec page3

MAG21's should be fine (bit flexy but do ride nice for old forks) or even 1995 Judy's XC (at the 50mm ish length)

Else it would look correct with Orange rigid F9/F7 or in my opinion really nice with the Orange Alu forks if going rigid.

P.S. for a trick and light 7 speed cassette. get an m900 8 speed or the xt m737 ? compact 8 speed (in fact any 8 speed) an remove the 6 ot 7the ring and spacer.

^ good tips. :)

Well While I was at a wedding out of town a few weeks ago, Sinnett kindly spotted a steerer for me. I got on WAP and said I'd have it. After measuring it it seemed too short, true to my word I paid up anyway and got to test it this weekend.

Its on, But!
vanrepimp2009049.jpg

hmm
vanrepimp2009051.jpg

and hmm
vanrepimp2009052.jpg

and Hmm again,halfway up the steerer looks a bit wierd/fatigued?

Got seriously out priced on some F7 forks on eghey too.

not sure what to do now, possibly get a frame builder to modify/fix/lengthen the steerer? is that poss?

I did also consider custom frame builder cro mo forks too, bit pricey but cool.

I was offered a set of forks from a clockwork by househusband and I'm sure he still has them- don't think they will cost the earth and will be a good match- not sure on the colour?

nice bike btw, always lusted after the prest. but took the clockwork route and the rest, as they say, is history.

re:

reanimation said:
^ good tips. :)

Well While I was at a wedding out of town a few weeks ago, Sinnett kindly spotted a steerer for me. I got on WAP and said I'd have it. After measuring it it seemed too short, true to my word I paid up anyway and got to test it this weekend.

I cut my steerer a bit short and now put a distance between, that means I only can tighten one of the screws. It's been that way a couple of months and I've been riding it hard. Haven't seen any weakining or something. there is a bit to buy to lengthen the steerer and won't cost that much...

was that a beastie boys calander on your wall- you gotta fight .........for your right.......... to paaaaaaaaaaaaaarty! :cool:

HaHa yeah it is, hoping the current grind sparks doesn't kill it, NOS it was some years ago! :D

Cheers for the comment re the steerer, i don't think I'd trust it really, it should stay if clamped up hard but i've seen big headset cups ripped out when forks snap so hmm a bit of a worry.

Got a few options now so Will have a think... :)

Time flys by eh, a few 'life things' got in the way, but mostly I've taken a relaxed hunt/gather, and build when I feel like it stance with this build, all the best ones are not rushed after all.

The build (thankfully) took a turn for the best, they all tend to go this way, start as beaters, pub bikes, winter bikes, commute bikes etc and end up as cherished builds. So this one became a bit of a labour of love, really enjoying nostalgia of where I took off, I was out of MTBing for a clear decade, 1993-2003/4 so it was fun to keep to the era I loved when it all got exciting, 1992/3/4, and I didn't worry too much about enjoying/using technology or parts from after that if it looks right, such as remade retro parts or the Aheadset system I ended up with. So it's still a story of what could have happened if I had the money and patience to keep on MTBing 1994 onward, you know one of those hypothetically impossible things really but works well! :D

So I was all set to complete last spring 2011, it had to be spring, but I lost the expensive shimano cables I'd bought Christmas 2010 in the house, so it got put off till 2012 when I remembered where they hid themselves!! Some nostalgic build time with a nostalgic soundtrack, I bolted it all together, and set sail for a nostalgic solo trip through old haunts in Halifax. Brilliant nostalgia.

I'll start with a few pics and add more when I find them! Hope you like. It's my best build yet and and might stay as my best build...
P3233362.jpg

P3233372.jpg

Top man and RB Leg-end, Sinett hooked me up a few years ago with s lovely set of NOS wheels with 1994 black Deore LX hubs, they were not destined for this build but ended up being ideal as 1994 black LX punctuated the year perfectly, it was introduced that year so was ideal quality groupo to aim for without going nuts over XT/XTR kit.
Also I returned to top man Sinetts house to purchase a top deal of Pace Forks and Orange Flite :cool: off his beautiful early Clockwork build. So thanks to that man. The forks steerer was too short so justbackdated hooked me up with an uncut brand new chromo steerer, perfect for my tallness!
P6202608.jpg

BITD I had toe clips, so gone same route with these factory fire survivors. :cool:
P7022647.jpg

I got lucky with grips. These turned up on eBay, not comfy but cool, the exact same grips I chose BITD on my trip to Stif in Headingley, so super novelty and almost random.
P3233377.jpg

To go with the Flite, I did have a purple USE, but it was just too much and looked rubbish, so a lovely modern classic Syncros post holds the seat on, bought from modern day Stif shop..online!

P2232014.jpg

to go with my '94 LX groupo and very typically Orange custom build I had a set of compact middleburns. A fantastic RB member who's name I will find and thank swapped the compact spider for a lovely gold Full size spider. This was another thing that held me up at the end of the build so I'm very happy for the help, custom UK cranks seemed an ideal way to top off the groupo, Tidy black LX's are tricky to get too.
P7022648.jpg

Lots of finishing goodies, most of it scored on RB, again brilliant members who sorted me out. :)
P7022646.jpg

NOS Specialized bar ends direct from Orange Halifax! Awesome, my fave bar end design in my fave colour, beautiful, I never wanna scuff these
P7022645.jpg

P3233360.jpg

NOS pace rings and a modern quality middle, Also a freshen up on the cranks, it may last..
Really happy with result overall. Just what I wanted.
P3233359.jpg

Those offending cables! Found them then was a faff to get em just right but got there. :cool: very period arrangement of top tube routing.
P3233365.jpg

I did have black Deore LX NOS canti's but these purple Dia Compes are so tasty they had to go on! :cool: :idea:
P3233363.jpg

More groupo and finishing kit
P3233375.jpg

P3233376.jpg

Panaracer Smoke and Dart were the tyres to have BITD, my '92 actually had Megabytes off my old GT but this was the way to go, Blackwall folding reissues brand new. These seem to be collectors items now too, rightly some classic looks and modern performance and decent weight. Yum!
P3233371.jpg

Spin Stix finish the wheels, Lovely, don't wanna scuff these either. Deore LX items ready for less posh partys!
P3233367.jpg

XT Shifters replaced '94 LX shifters in the end, subtle upgrade...
P7022644.jpg

Purple cockpit. RB member sourced Pace RC Sub130's :cool: apparently off a low mile wifes bike, so hopefully still strong. those Orange Specialized bar ends. and I splashed out on the stem. Finding a 1" Aheadset stem is quite a limited and niche thing to find. after reviewing options several times over I got into a bidding war on eBay for this lovely Ringle Item, see this build really is a turn around from 'winter bike'!

and one or two of the whole thing!
P3233366.jpg

P3233356.jpg

P3233368.jpg

P7022643.jpg

Spring Halifax trip...
IMAG0256.jpg

I've entered it as this months Bike of the Month, a broad category though so there is piles of stiff competition!

Back