Shimano or Sram?!

Dj

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi,
i am going to build a new xc bike.
but this bike is going to be my primary bike, i want to have a matching groupset. and my allowance to spend on this bike is quite big :D
i dont want to waste my money and get something i may not like.
i've sorted out a lovely pair of hope brakes,
im building a hope wheelset,
sorted carbon handlebars, stem and seatpost.
DMR V12's
now i am looking for a groupset, either 3x9 or 2x10, i am open to other options too, like srams new XX1 which is 1x11.
so my question is, performance wise, from an XC aspect what is better SRAM or Shimano? any suggestions on which one i should go with? i was thinking either Sram XX1, XX0, XX or X9 or Shimano XTR, XT and maybe Saint?
Facts and opinions?

Ah the Shimano or SRAM debate. Endless just like the pc or Mac.

I run SRAM it works just has good a Shimano. The new XT-R looks tasty.

For an XC bike I would probably rule out Saint because although it's shed some weight, it's still gravity orientated.

My preference is Sram; I've been using their mechs and shifters since 05. I find it easier to set up and less sensitive to bad weather than Shimano. However the new Shimano stuff seems popular too.

i was leaning more towards SRAM as i ran it on my old xc bike and it ran very well, i never had a problem, but Shimano seems to be quite popular on very high end bikes, and they do look very tasty :cool: :cool:

I can't decide if the new Shimano rear mechs look ugly or not. Really like the way Sram looks and feels.

Only place I think Shimano win hands down are brakes (Avids are evil....New Elixir's seem a bit squiffy) and cassettes.

If you're buying higher end stuff, you won't go wrong with either. I lot of it comes down to personal preference. I like the slightly clunky nature of Sram because it feels positive.

A lot of the magazines claim that Shimano is less needy in terms of servicing requirement. So performance is very similar but you need to spend more time keeping the SRAM going.

I prefer the last XTR derailleurs, the new one looks ok, but its a step in the wrong direction cosmetically.
i'm not using shimano or avid brakes, i'm sticking to my Hope brakes :cool:
and i like 'clunky' but i dont really like high maintenance kit though, but right now SRAM is winning me over :D

I think they're moving in the wrong direction with their mechs too.

Sram come in different colours. I never seem to have to fiddle or adjust my Sram stuff. Fit and forget.

What cranks are you planning to run? I like the current Shimano cranks especially being able to cap off the chain ring bolts. It's just a shame the finish is rubbish and wears off so quickly.

I'd defo go Shimano if looking at the top end as it just feels so much better imo. Can't get on with Sram.

If you go Shimano get some XTR shifters even if the rest is XT etc. My old 9sp (last gen so not that old) were the best shifters I've ever had and I'll be getting some 10sp to replace my current SLX as soon as funds allow.

Had nothing but trouble with mid-range SRAM, whereas low-end Shimano stuff just keeps going ... and going ... and going ... and ... well ... you get the idea.

Same with the higher-end Shimano stuff. I can do powershifts while the rear end is bouncing across the worst of the famous Belgian cobblestones, and my M770 (2011 XT) groupset just shifts instantly, accurately and without any skipping.
I just can't fault it.

Back