1997 Saracen Hardtrax - First retro bike - Build Update!!

I've kept the original decal on the front below the handlebars, plus the 'tange' sticker on the lower crossbar near the pedals (as you have) - basically cos they're still in pretty good nick, and suited the colour scheme.

Since the pic was taken, I've also changed the bolts on the rear sides (for attaching mudguards?) for silver kcnc ones, since the originals were kinda rusty.

PS: The paintwork on your frame seems better than mine. I didn't completely strip it down and just kinda rubbed down the poor bits and patched it up with silver hammerite, lol.

I was lucky in that I managed to source a frame which had all of the deals in pretty good nick!

Yep, they are mudguard bolts - I switched mine out for J&L Alu bolts, along with the bottle cage bolts as they are all the same size.

Yeah, my paintwork's not too bad! Because it's SO robust, I could actually use a wire brush to clean off the rust & I then clearcoated over the damaged paint spots..

I have now received another set of 'DX' cranks, so attached those last night, fixed and re-aligned the Maguras, & rode the Saracen to work today! :D

Slight issue with stiff steering I need to look at, and need to properly index the shifting, but it's VERY nice! It's a windy old day too, so going to ride along the coast later & test all those claims that SPINs don't work when it's windy.. ;)

azaro":k0nnl3v1 said:
Have to say I preferred the original graphics.

Where did you get those onza pedals?

Ebay! Funnily enough..
Just search for 'Onza Blue'. They are VP458's, available in Blue, Red, Black and Silver cage, for about £15! The Seller is 0nza.

It's quite addictive this actually. :p Only intended to make it roadworthy, but it's compulsive to buy more stuff for it, lol.

Had a re-think over the chainset. Would cost a fortune for the middleburn stuff, so I'm thinking of just getting a Shimano Alivio crankset, since it's got detachable rings, which can be changed if I fancy a couple of raceface ones. :D

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Shop-By-Br ... _1297.html

That it definitely is!!
Now I've finished this one, I just finished rebuilding my Vitus HT in a weekend, and now I've just bought a Cadex to put all my other parts onto!..

Then I have to start work on the Voodoo project!

The difficulty I would say with going modern on chainsets is all the useless compatibility issues... You might need an Octalink BB for a Shimano chainset, which means you then have to buy more Shimano chainsets to upgrade/change if anything breaks, or change the BB at the same time....

That's why I stuck with nice old reliable square taper, and DX/LX cranks.

If I were you, I'd have a poke around the 'For Sale' section, and ebay, and see if you can pick up something second-hand in good nick in a square taper fit!

LOL! Sounds like you've got your hands full. :p

Yeh - I ruled out some cos've the ISIS and Octalink thing. The one I was planning on seems to be for square drive taper, as is the current Altus, so I was kinda hoping it'd be ok? :p Not particularly keen on having to change the bottom bracket or whatever. :/

All the best with ur other projects man. :D

*Will deffo have a rummage round the for sale section on here tho, and look for some 90s stuff on ebay.

Yeah, I'd stay sticking with Square taper is the way to go! If the Current Altus ones are then that sounds fair enough, and as you say, you can always upgrade later on!

One question though, do you take it off-road much? Looks like you have the 21" frame, which was my original frame size, and it was a bit tricky to handle on steep descents and drops!..

Thanks for all the info/advice btw. :)

Don't take it off-road yet (apart from a nearby gravel track with a few rocks surfacing through it). Planning on having a go at the Marin Trail in Betws-y-Coed next Spring tho.

I'm not sure what the frame-size is. I assumed it was around 17", cos it's not much different from my mate's 16" Felt bike (which he replaced the Saracen with). Also - it's fine to climb onto, lol - whereas anything over 19" is usually a bit big (as I'm only 5'8").

I'll check tho, and bear it in mind! Seems pretty agile so far, altho it's not particularly keen to do a bunny hop, or lift a wheel for the kerb, lol.

Hmm, maybe it's a 19" then! Mine's 17 & has a much shorter headtube. I'm 5'11 & find that I can get away with it as long as I use a decent stem & nice long seatpost! ;) I always found the 21" was reluctant to lift the front too!!

I don't like the 'old school' thought that you get the biggest frame size you can stand over.. Smaller frames are lighter & more nimble - as long as you check out the toptube length fits!

I'm thinking I might have to get some lower rolling resistance tyres - funky tho the blue ones are! ;)

The blue tyres do look cool.

Was showing my brother yesterday, and we both think it looks ace. Chainrings, gears and front mech look smart too - diggin the silver finish.

Changed the front mech on mine today (Shimano Tourney 6/7 gear). Basically, I'm just trying to update it with the modern equivalent of what was there already. Gears are working more smoothly, altho I still can't shift onto the biggest chainring as it's too far out - not sure why. :(

Getting new chainrings in a week or two, so hopefully that'll make a difference (unless the bb is too wide?).

Catch u later.

Back