Dablks '97 Orange C16R.

dablk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Really wasn't going to get into another build but this was very local and in 21 inch gate size with forks.
cr16a1.jpg

I really wanted a orange/white pre 94 clockwork but i would have felt the need to make that mint and original.

This however I might have a bit more relaxed attitude towards. Wheels are from my Kona just for the photo so wont be getting used for this. Rest of the frame kit is "functional" but low end.

Already had a bit of chat with some members about a few options for forks. Current ones are inch threadless in usual nickle finsh. Frame is matt silver. so might look at some usual paces forks.

Think it will need a riser bar for me as even a 21 seems very low at the front for me these days ;)

Will have a long think about resprays...powdercaoting is cheap and easy. Or might do a orange/white but with c16r decals.

Question... i assume thats a mount for an e type mech. Does this get in the way unless you use an e type mech?

I would say that the E mount establishes for certain that this a 97 frame. E-type derailleurs didn't come out until 97, except for the XTR M950 in 96, and I'm almost certain that Orange frames didn't have E mounts in 96.

I would advise using an E-type mech as they work perfectly and you can still find them coming up on eBay quite often. Otherwise, I think the mount is in the way of a top-swing mech, but you canl fit a conventional-swing/high band mech.

Anthony":1pmu3ugb said:
I would say that the E mount establishes for certain that this a 97 frame. E-type derailleurs didn't come out until 97, except for the XTR M950 in 96, and I'm almost certain that Orange frames didn't have E mounts in 96.

I would advise using an E-type mech as they work perfectly and you can still find them coming up on eBay quite often. Otherwise, I think the mount is in the way of a top-swing mech, but you canl fit a conventional-swing/high band mech.

As Anthony points out e-type mechs are best option, I purchased one for my 1996/97 C16R think i paid £10 from ebay for an XT-739 e-type mech from one of the Bankrupt cycles ebay outlets. Doddle to set up as well, even when i changed to an XT-739 Crankset over the STX one fitted all i had to do was rotate a cam to give me the correct clearance on the mech & chainring. :)

Cheers lads..will look into it... what the difference with a e type bb? my head is thinking a 73mm with a spacer on the other side???

i guess as its a 96 code with an 97 e mount it "MUST" be a factory prototype limited edition riden by factory team only version :LOL:

must get in one ebay with the million limited team edition gt zaskars

dablk":2izz7oo7 said:
Cheers lads..will look into it... what the difference with a e type bb? my head is thinking a 73mm with a spacer on the other side???

i guess as its a 96 code with an 97 e mount it "MUST" be a factory prototype limited edition riden by factory team only version :LOL:

must get in one ebay with the million limited team edition gt zaskars

Does that mean mine is a LTD Edition too lol?

Its always been a good discussion point on the age of Oranges, I've even contacted Orange direct and had some good info back. Mine is a 1996 C16R, And is stamped accordingly, It was pointed out that taking into account shipping from Taiwan etc and finally reaching the shop floor it would be closer to 97, I still stand that its a 1996, when it was rolled off the production line as a Frame ready to be graced with Wheels & Groupset. I think the e-type BB mounted front mech have been around prior to 1997 as I'm sure I've seen them on other bikes older than mine. I'm not sure on having a specific BB for e-type mechs? mine that is on my C16R is a standard Shimano BB, all seems well with it and I've done a few hundred miles on it with no problems.

Anyway looking good, and will be watching to see it take shape :)

Obviously you can call your bike what you like, but most 1997 model year frames would have been made in 1996, so the fact that a frame has a 1996 serial number does not mean that it's a 1996 bike - in fact it means it's quite unlikely to be a 1996 bike, as only frames built quite early in 96 would be for the tail end of the 96 model year.

That E-type fms only came out in the 1997 model year for XT and lower Shimano levels is a plain fact. And it follows that there was no sense in manufacturers going to the expense of adding E mounts to their frames before the 97 model year.

If you fit a normal BB with an E-type fm, you are obviously shifting the bb 2.5mm to the drive side, and that means widening the chain line by 2.5mm. I agree that isn't fatal, but a chain line of say 50 rather than 47.5 is on the outer limits of what can work and will often cause problems. As dablk says, a 73mm standard bb with a spacer on the non-drive side will do the same job as an E-type bb (but only for 68mm bb shells of course - if you had a 73mm shell, you would need a E-type).

and just like that its become a 97 ;) anyway.

till funds allow this is going to be a slow burner. However just squared up to my first obstical. stretched the shoulders, set the clamps. and pushed the bar...

too find the retrobike maintenance grail...a bb that has been recently greased and flew out. and its even silver in there not much brown at all.

still stuck in two minds.. faithfull 8 speed 739 with flat bar or 9 speed deore with riser bar...merlin just do 2011 deore for such a great price. £210 for a whole drive train/v brake set just seems like a steal.

just grabbed a cheap riser to get me rolling so will see.

Another moonrise Klein in the for sales might have just given me a sudden urge for dark metallic blue... with silver or gold decals, silver bars etc.

BB mounted front mech on my P7, same as Jussa I picked up a NOS XT-M739 one off ebay - teamed up with a bog standard E-type UN54 BB, no issues at all so far....

P1060738.jpg

P1060523.jpg

P1060445.jpg

I'd go for "faithfull 8 speed 739 with flat bar" personally :D

Back