The XYZ Overbury's E-stay

The seller did try contacting the person who got the frame for her, but was put off by his angry Girlfriend :LOL:

She's sure it was like this when she got it, so it was either repaired while it belonged to her ex or was maybe sold to him as a repair by Overbury's?
Either way it's a shame that it's been done, and in a functional but unsightly way

makster":k8vp5hhw said:
The seller did try contacting the person who got the frame for her, but was put off by his angry Girlfriend :LOL:

She's sure it was like this when she got it, so it was either repaired while it belonged to her ex or was maybe sold to him as a repair by Overbury's?
Either way it's a shame that it's been done, and in a functional but unsightly way

You gotta laugh at that, even though it doesn't help the story. :)

I know an old-school road frame builder/restorer who can make this frame pretty again. I want it so badly it hurts. Could not be more perfect for me.... I really hope someone doesn't buy it and hang it on a wall because it needs to be rescued, restored and ridden again. By me. :-D

makster":3qnl8n23 said:

.......... :shock: .........unsightly.....its bloody aweful, and whilst it stopped the crack in the frame, it could have and should have been done properly from the outset. (imho) (and a repair by Overburys.... :roll: oh come on)

But at least it seems AT LAST...it has been decided it was broken and repaired.......i was starting to think that woolworths had made a comeback, with a new re-launch selling ROSE TINTED GLASSES to retrobike members........pmsl.

sinnerman":3d7dxl0r said:
makster":3d7dxl0r said:

.......... :shock: .........unsightly.....its bloody aweful, and whilst it stopped the crack in the frame, it could have and should have been done properly from the outset. (imho) (and a repair by Overburys.... :roll: oh come on)

But at least it seems AT LAST...it has been decided it was broken and repaired.......i was starting to think that woolworths had made a comeback, with a new re-launch selling ROSE TINTED GLASSES to retrobike members........pmsl.

I got off of my arse and went and had a look, collected pics and have passed on all info given to me by the owner.
I have no money, space or time for this bike so have only been doing this for others who could be interested.
I know nothing about framebuilding, so have simply asked questions of others on here who maybe do.
I suggested to the owner straight away that you'd be a perfect person to tackle this restoration. Wish I hadn't bothered (and certainly won't again).

Hope somebody on here rescues this, and appreciates my efforts , even if you obviously don't :roll:

makster":3chzq53d said:
sinnerman":3chzq53d said:
makster":3chzq53d said:

I got off of my arse and went and had a look, collected pics and have passed on all info given to me by the owner.
I have no money, space or time for this bike so have only been doing this for others who could be interested.
I know nothing about framebuilding, so have simply asked questions of others on here who maybe do.
I suggested to the owner straight away that you'd be a perfect person to tackle this restoration. Wish I hadn't bothered (and certainly won't again).

Hope somebody on here rescues this, and appreciates my efforts , even if you obviously don't :roll:
I appreciate you Makster, and I always enjoy your photies - well most of them, when they're near the beach / coast.

I was gonna say something about Bill Murray, Stripes, and big toe, but thought it was probably be taken the wrong way - anyways, I can almost feel the love and appreciation from here, for you.

There's just one thing - that avatar - when you've had the odd drinkie, it can send you a bit dizzy. But in a good way...

makster":1bd0a4be said:
sinnerman":1bd0a4be said:
makster":1bd0a4be said:

Makster.......NO ONE HAS APPRECIATED YOUR EFFORTS MORE THAN ME, YOU HAVE INDEED SAVED ME A LOT OF TIME, EFFORT AND HEARTACHE.

and when i first saw the blurry terrible pics, posted by the lady, i spotted a cause for concern straight away, and did indeed email to ask the lady to see if it was damaged, the answer i got was no and she expalined in the same way she did to you, and how she came by it.

If you have taken Humbridge because you feel my above comment was aimed at you then i apologise, it wasnt.

There have been... that many people tyring to suggest that it isnt repaired, that i even felt doubt in my own common sense, and sought the opinion of two members i have a lot of respect for, just to put my own mind at rest.

My comical comment ref ROSE TINTED glasses, applied to me too, because you are right, an estay overburys is worth saving, and i as much as anybody wanted it to be right,.........sadly it is repaired, and was a long road for this to come out and confirmed as repaired, but at least NOW.....people are aware of what they could be letting themselves in for, if they do take on such a project, sadly it wont be me, as i have said i darent take on another estay rebuild.

You are still a hero to me mate for all your efforts, even if the outcome wasnt quite a glorious as we would all have liked.

I hope rob and his frame builder buy it, and for a sensible price, and the time is taken to refinish this frame in the appropriate manner.

All it will take is money effort and time, all of which are worth it, to save another quality English Marque from the dustbin,

My point is though it isnt in its current state, worth telephone numbers, like perhaps first thought.

I think a gusset of some sort may be required, as if it's a repair (which is probably is) then it will have been a weak spot. I am thinking a nicely fashioned gusset could be made to bridge that area to both strengthen it and cover up any mess that is left after taking that "band-aid" off. It won't be cheap but it's gotta be worth doing.

I am already thinking of a paint job for it!! Time to start saving....

An Overbury's estay on the Downland Cycles stand at Bespoked 2015...
I didn't get to ask them about it...too much other stuff to cram in:

All the best.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 307
Re:

It was recently in BOTM I think..? :cool:

Safe to say that the previous example on this thread was indeed a repair from a break after all.

Latest posts

Back