Peugeot Elite threading? Swiss or British?

Bulmer

Retro Newbie
I was wondering if I could get help/ advice on identifying the threading on my Peugeot bikes bottom bracket. I have been looking at the site www.cyclespeugeot.com and others and cannot find my model anywhere, it is an Elite. All details are below, I have also attached photos.

Model: Peugeot Elite
Paper sticket: PE10M 50
Number on frame: Y711 39558

So my first guess was that this is a 1987 model due to the number on the frame. The dates printed on the cranks, hubs etc agree with this. If so, from the advice on the website I would presume that the threading on the bottom bracket is British.

However, one of the cups on the bottom bracket has a ring around its circumference, see photo. Which would suggest Swiss threading, which is confusing me.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic3
Pic 4

Bulmer":333yop7j said:
I was wondering if I could get help/ advice on identifying the threading on my Peugeot bikes bottom bracket. I have been looking at the site www.cyclespeugeot.com and others and cannot find my model anywhere, it is an Elite. All details are below, I have also attached photos.

Model: Peugeot Elite
Paper sticket: PE10M 50
Number on frame: Y711 39558

So my first guess was that this is a 1987 model due to the number on the frame. The dates printed on the cranks, hubs etc agree with this. If so, from the advice on the website I would presume that the threading on the bottom bracket is British.

However, one of the cups on the bottom bracket has a ring around its circumference, see photo. Which would suggest Swiss threading, which is confusing me.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic3
Pic 4

Most of the Peugeot`s ive come across/worked on have French threaded bottom brackets

By 1987 Peugeot had moved over, completely, to British BBs.

The lockring you found can be found on Britsh threaded BBs, as all others.

Were both cups right threaded, or was one left hand thread? IIRC Swiss, like Italian, were both RH thread.

Also check the cups you have taken out, they should have the thread diameter and pitch stamped on them (nearly everyone I have seen has). 1.37 in x 24 TPI will be British. Also check the shell width, if 68mm it is French or Swiss, if 70mm British.

tiermat":rpy2upqh said:
By 1987 Peugeot had moved over, completely, to British BBs.

The lockring you found can be found on Britsh threaded BBs, as all others.

Were both cups right threaded, or was one left hand thread? IIRC Swiss, like Italian, were both RH thread.

Also check the cups you have taken out, they should have the thread diameter and pitch stamped on them (nearly everyone I have seen has). 1.37 in x 24 TPI will be British. Also check the shell width, if 68mm it is French or Swiss, if 70mm British.

Just checked my 87 Peugeot Elite today and its British threads for the BB.

Back