The XYZ Overbury's E-stay

I recieved the following message from the owner of this last night, which she's asked me to pass on.....

.... so... the frame is fine according to Mr Chicken. He gently sanded down the bad bit... looked fine underneath!... he generally checked out the entire frame and could find nothing of concern. V pleased to see it.
His advice was to strip and respray to get a better price.
He felt the rust was prob due to something dripping onto bike and not something sinister in the frame.

He told me to keep away from forums!

Really relieved all in all ...

Mr Chicken is this chap... http://chickenbikes.com/ so I'd hope he knows what he's talking about. I'd just been looking at his frames at the Big Dog, so suggested to her that he'd be able to offer advise on the state of the frame.
My advice to her was to forget getting it re-painted, but get it stripped so people could see the condition underneath.
I'm sure this will be popping up on ebay soon ;)

makster":tgos6e4i said:
I recieved the following message from the owner of this last night, which she's asked me to pass on.....

.... so... the frame is fine according to Mr Chicken. He gently sanded down the bad bit... looked fine underneath!... he generally checked out the entire frame and could find nothing of concern. V pleased to see it.
He felt the rust was prob due to something dripping onto bike and not something sinister in the frame.

Really relieved all in all ..

Mr Chicken is this chap... http://chickenbikes.com/ so I'd hope he knows what he's talking about. I'd just been looking at his frames at the Big Dog, so suggested to her that he'd be able to offer advise on the state of the frame.
My advice to her was to forget getting it re-painted, but get it stripped so people could see the condition underneath.

Thats good news then.

Did the lady enlighten you, as to what Mr Chicken had to say about the repair...?

Attachments

• 4sale.jpg
    4sale.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 567
sinnerman":3kod8xcf said:
makster":3kod8xcf said:

Thats good news then.

Did the lady enlighten you, as to what Mr Chicken had to say about the repair...?

Her exact words..... I did ask the guy about that area that Carl et al feels may have been a repair... to be honest he didn't have much opinion on it.' Not necessarily' was the feeling...

The plot thickens :LOL:

Her general feeling is that she's going to put it on ebay (with international shipping) and see what it gets.
It'll be interesting to see what this raises.
Go on Carl, you know you'd do it justice ;)

makster":12eewvsi said:
sinnerman":12eewvsi said:
makster":12eewvsi said:

Thats good news then.

Her exact words..... I did ask the guy about that area that Carl et al feels may have been a repair... to be honest he didn't have much opinion on it.' Not necessarily' was the feeling...

Her general feeling is that she's going to put it on ebay (with international shipping) and see what it gets.

Naaaah it's too small for him. Best leave the bidding to a shorter British Steel RetroBike fan.... ;-)

Her repainting it before selling it is a terrible idea!

Looks quite cool, I don't know if I can get over that blemish/pimple/boil on the DT though, lets see what happens when it goes up to auction!

makster":3d02chtb said:
sinnerman":3d02chtb said:
makster":3d02chtb said:

Thats good news then.

It may seem to some that i have an interest in buying this frame, and this is the reason why i am openly skeptical of the frames condition.

this is not the case, that would be shocking form.

Just for the record...., i have no interest in buying this frame, because it has been repaired, and whilst the repair looks tidy enough, i personnally couldnt live with it.

My only motive for touching on it at all, is purely from a position i am in with an estay frame at the moment, the spiraling costs, and delays from sourcing the correct replacement tubes, to complete the project, and wanting to make potential new owners aware of the pitfalls involved if they do choose to rebuild, or indeed have a problem after they have invested there money.

If the new owner is not concerned about it, then crack on, rebuild it and ride it.

As i have said elsewhere on the forum, my biggest mistake of late was not having a bid on the Overburys e-stay bike that sold recently for £282.56p. (as shown in the first pic below,)

If anybody here did buy this frame please send me a PM.

The additional picture also shows the same frame as the purple example about to go up for sale without a repair tab.

Attachments

• overburysestay_443.jpg
    overburysestay_443.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 537
  • $(KGrHqF,!iEE9TPoYUP!BPVRgnqff!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!iEE9TPoYUP!BPVRgnqff!~~60_12.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 537
  • $(KGrHqN,!rQE88hJMD3cBPVRgcVI)w~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!rQE88hJMD3cBPVRgcVI)w~~60_12.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 537
Rod_Saetan":1wafofpq said:
Her repainting it before selling it is a terrible idea!

Looks quite cool, I don't know if I can get over that blemish/pimple/boil on the DT though, lets see what happens when it goes up to auction!

Agreed.

I've been following this thread as I’ve always hankered after an Overbury’s and I was at ARGOS in Bristol this morning and asked them for their opinion. As soon as they saw the joint they said it was a repair…

Back