Are used car prices going up???

JamesM

Senior Retro Guru
They seem to be, or is it just because I need a new car and the moment I buy one the prices will return to normal overnight and I will feel like a tw*t for paying over the odds? :(

The cars I've been looking at for the last 10 months have stayed the same or gone up in price despite getting older and the milage increasing.

people are just holding on to cars longer

add the rise in price of scrap metal, and cheap runners are a thing of the past

And of course everyone strapped for cash wants more money, so they ask for more and people do buy because they think it is the going rate by looking at advertisements, but what advertisements don't say, is how many buy at those prices and so people buy and so prices have stepped up a notch and it will continue to do so until people realise and just say no.

But just look at our favourite friendly auction website, has anyone noticed a hike in P & P rates or is it the greed has spread. But that's okay those that are greedy I don't bother with and so that affects the price they get at close of sale as less people are interested, because I am not alone in refusing to pay for what I don't believe is worth.

But cars, does it make any sense to buy new, when just rolling out of the showroom door depreciates the thing so much ?

Supply and demand.

Many old cars being scrapped due to that scrappage scheme will boost the price of those that are still out there. People having more difficulty to get loans due to the banking crisis will look for second-hand cars, of which there are fewer now.

BMW z4 coupe prices are not.

I think the larger engine stuff is at rock bottom at the moment. I have toyed with the idea of buying a Z4 coupe for a few years now, and the prices at the moment are not helping me avoid it.

(living in Zone 1 London, with no parking, the prospect of huge insurance and absolutely no need at all to own a car are the only things that have prevented me... so far...)

And it was still mot

big engines - cheap. even 2.0 petrol

higher road tax cars (Y,51 plate on) cheap - as the road tax can be huge on some models, even diesels

I berrated my girlfriends mate for trading in a Mondeo for £50 - the road tax refund would have been more than that! And it was still MOT'd for at least 8 months. Would have got at least £400 as a quick private sale...

Car scrappage scheme was a big environmental disaster and killed off many classic low mileage and good condition vehicles for nothing.

JeRkY":90f6lkjy said:
BMW z4 coupe prices are not.

I think the larger engine stuff is at rock bottom at the moment. I have toyed with the idea of buying a Z4 coupe for a few years now, and the prices at the moment are not helping me avoid it.

(living in Zone 1 London, with no parking, the prospect of huge insurance and absolutely no need at all to own a car are the only things that have prevented me... so far...)

My neighbour has just bought a Z4 and killed it by putting the wrong oil in it. Its just rinsed him for a £3k engine rebuild - I hear they have issues?

JeRkY":1y59jy7o said:
I think the larger engine stuff is at rock bottom at the moment. I

Well the car I want is a Legacy 3.0r and they seem more expensive now than last october. I dont do many miles as I cycle to work so figured I could get a gas guzzler nice and cheap. I have an old 2.5 4Cam at the moment and its on its last legs. End of last year they seemed to be around the prices quoted in the car guides. Back in May/June they were around 50% above the guide price and now it they seem to be coming down a bit but I'm wondering if by this october a 54 plate will be as cheap as it was a year earlier. And of course the guide price for that car will be like a grand less than last year too.

legrandefromage":yvxtqw1d said:
My neighbour has just bought a Z4 and killed it by putting the wrong oil in it. Its just rinsed him for a £3k engine rebuild - I hear they have issues?

Well to be honest if I had one it would only be an expensive ornament on the kerb side, driving in London is next to pointless.

Back