Whooooop! Finally sourced a tiny 98 Kona Explosif :D

Yes, the Indys are a bit of a tribute to my old Muni Mula so will stay for now until funds allow an upgrade. I crashed the Muni into a storm drain bending the Indy's steerer and destroying my headset and front wheel. The Z2s which replaced them were lovely but were short-lived on the Muni which immediately following the crash and subsequent rebuild developed a nasty creaking sound (even when stripped right down and the frame flexed via a loosely fitted seatpost as leverage). Kona took the frame back for inspection and could find no evident damage but replaced it under warranty anyway).

I must admit I was surprised at the frame weight too - weighed on my digital kitchen scales so pretty accurate - feels feather weight compared to my Blood though :LOL:

That looks really good. I think I'll give patching up the decals like that a go, I've given up trying to source new ones for my '97 Explosif.

Looks much better...and looks like a labour of love! I think I'd have got bored / hacked off and sent it in for a respray.

I'd personally ditch the Indy's for some bombers...I had two pairs of Indy's (C and SL) and not great memories of either. The bombers of that era were such a huge leap forward.

Cheers both! Just polished up the cranks and retouched the lettering (yeh, I know the non-driveside isn't perfect but there was very little of the original decal left - very nice cranks though) - helicopter tape is on order as I know that first muddy ride and it'll be off again ;) . I'll be running 1x9, hence the single ring (I haven't built a bike with a front mech since the mid-nineties).

p4pb8496414.jpg

Postie has just been with (I hope) the correct length spokes and my front hub is 'out for delivery' with Parcelforce so looks like a day of wheelbuilding for me :p

Those cranks have polished up well....it took me a little while to spot the touch up job the cranks, so good job!

Helicopter tape is the best invention ever....if I respray my SX it will get covered in the stuff.

I've protected the crank decals with helitape, cut to just cover the decals themselves, so should be pretty durable.

All done now and ride fast as . . . :p .

p4pb8509572.jpg

Running singlespeed at the mo' despite having a full compliment of gear shifters and a rear mech :roll: but it feels so smooth I'm in no rush to run 1x9 (may just keep gears for race duties).

p4pb8509573.jpg

p4pb8509574.jpg

Not easy finding a decent small frame of any make, let alone an Explosif, so can imagine how chuffed you are with yours...

...and with attention to detail like that who needs a respray :cool:

BTW: I suspect that grey Mozo Pro is the fork currently awaiting fittment to my Explosif...

That is tidy - +1 good work on the paint, I'm impressed by the touch up. I have one of these in 18" which I'm saving up to get re-sprayed.

What kind of riding are you using this for? My only reservation are the indy's - I'd opt for a more up market sus or a p2 personally... gotta love the way the top tube slopes down in line with the seat stays.

Beezer! :D

Back