My first build bike: harmony between old and new

balciaks

Old School Hero
Hello
this is my journey for the last 4 month :)
My first build bike: harmony between old and new
I had many bikes in the last 2 years, but never had the one which could ‘complete’ me. Out of growing interest / hobby I’ve acquired around 2 bikes a month, and the idea was to buy them, try them and sell them, but along the way to find the one witch would suit me perfectly.
The problem was that no matter how many bikes i owned and tried none of them were quit there. One for example had very good looks, while another one had beautifully made gearing system and etc. So my idea was to take all the good bits, all the advances of engineering and merge it with vintage/ classic steel frame.
The more i read and the more I have asked in regards of the frames: i got nearly the same answer. That the old frames which were build by quality frame builders are far better in quality then today’s mass production (cheap materials) frames. So i say: do research, find your frame and then put what ever component you want on it to make/ create your own ‘beauty’.
My budget was very simple- as low as possible :) (i know its not very accurate but i did not mind used or new parts as long it was low price and good quality)
I have started by collating various bits for my future bike. First part i got was barely used rear tyre :) continental gatorskin- got it for 8 pounds and collected in person the next day. Then got 5 new specialized tubes for like 1£ each. By luck and research got the rear wheel made by Easton tempest II with velomax hub- the whole wheel weights 850 grams!- i got it for £4.04 (rpr £150) the wheel was sold as damaged/ for spares, but spend couple hours on it and it is like new/ish condition.
After long waiting i managed to find my frame, it was yellow/ red 23.5 colubmus slx frame made by ex builder TJQ- got it for £60. Week latter i bought nearly complete ribble racing/ touring bike- stripped the drive train and gearing system (shimano ultegra)- £123, but will sell the ribble frame and couple bits so should be around £65 for ultegra groupset, bb and handlebars.
Compagnolo breakes came from my recent bike sale, the brake were so perfectly working that decided to keep them for my self.
BBB CTL sadle (ti, carbon, leather) got for £6.90 and weight is only 199g :)
After 3 month waiting found the front Easton wheel and managed to get it for £33 and replace sealed bearing for a 10 pounds- perfect, silky smooth wheel. So now i had a pear of Easton wheels and the weight for the pair: 1500g- amazing!
I am still keeping compagnolo wheels skewers- purely i like the look of it :)
I was nearly ready for the build apart from couple minor items missing like one tyre, couple cable- which acquired very easily from the local volunteering bike shop. What i was missing and wanted was- campagnolo headset. Managed to find a very rear one and in good state: Campagnolo Croce D'Aune Headset. Croce D'Aune was a short-lived group that was above Chorus and below C-Record. Really sweet stuff. £32.
Wright- after around 4 month researching, collecting and sourcing it was time to put everything together. Bought tub of grease, got my park tools and all joy and fun to begin. It was very rewarding to see everything coming together and the sense of achievement and pure joy of my first ride :).
The bike was solid, has 3 speeds in the front and 8 in the rear. It is fast as bullet, overtaking modern bikes with pride and at the same time have that extra gearing to clime the hills with an ease (Ditching beacon Brighton)
My bike is ongoing project, because i still need to replace bar tape (black) and front shimano mesh into ultegra to match the set.
The weight of the bike is slightly less than 10kg 
So, what i am saying is don’t just buy a random branded modern bike from a shop, build one the way you want it with quality components and the frame which will last! And at the same time have fun and save money :)

Now thinking of a new project to start... :)

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • r.jpg
    r.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,105
After that massive write up can we see bigger - closer - pictures please ;)

I'm sure everyone is eager to see it close up :cool:

Ian Raleigh":kkurlzge said:
After that massive write up can we see bigger - closer - pictures please ;)

I'm sure everyone is eager to see it close up :cool:

resezed pics :)

Attachments

• IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 1,062
  • jhgf.jpg
    jhgf.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMAG0002r.jpg
    IMAG0002r.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,052
Nicely done!

Looks like a "well done" to you. I restored bikes this year when I found an Italian frameset on ebay. It was the right size, the original paint & artwork were original and I fell in love with it. Since restoring it, I have not been disappointed. Hope you have many hours of enjoying the ride. Good luck.

Yes it is a lovely ride with it, probably done about 120 mile on it, will go for 40 mile ride on Tuesday . Thinking of changing the saddle to more comfy one: maybe brooks... :)

what gearing do you have?

I don't recall the gearing choice. What kind of terrain do you see yourself riding in? When I built the Paganini Mistral, I thought a 7spd rear cassette would be ok. After putting 200 miles on, I went to a 9spd. Fortunately the Campagnolo Chorus rear derailler was a 9spd. I used a Miche Shimano 10spd cassette minus 1cog, kept the 10spd spacers and a 10spd chain. I also used Campagnolo 10spd bar-end shifters (used in the friction mode). The crankset is Campagnolo Chorus 39/53t. Rear cogs are 11/12/13/15/17/19/21/23/26t. Works very well on the flat and hills in Southern California. Do you have a freehub or freewheel set-up? You can see my photos of the bikes I built on my facebook page abicycledoc4u. The Paganini is there with the 7spd configuration. "Like" my the page, if you would. Let me know what you think.

Back