My '97 Zaskar LE Blue Ano (15 years and going strong)

Oceanrider

Retro Newbie
I am the original owner of this Blue Ano '97 Zaskar LE. It brings me great joy in life to ride my bike. I feel very lucky to own such a finely crafted machine for all these years.

I live right next to the ocean and the elements are hard on a bike here. I ride a lot, almost everyday for many years. I ride in all seasons. Through crashes and hospital visits, this bike stands the test of time.

I have replaced many of the parts many times but the frame lives on. I love my bike and it is nice to see similar posts from others so I thought I would share.

Below is a picture I took today in its current configuration. It is so much fun to ride and a very fast and sure climber. I try and take it easy on the downhills now. I don't heal like I use to.

Thanks for letting me share.

Current picture:
yPEnch.jpg

Below is a list of the OEM parts it had when I first purchased it in '97.

OEM parts for '97 Zaskar LE (my bike doesn't have many of these parts anymore.)
Frame & Fork
Frame Construction Welded
Frame Tubing Material 6061 T6 aluminum, butted
Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Judy SL
Fork Material Magnesium, triple-clamp crown

Components
Component Group Shimano XTR 950
Brakeset Shimano XTR V-Brake brakes, Shimano XTR levers
Shift Levers Shimano XTR RapidFire SL
Front Derailleur Shimano XTR top-swing, bottom-pull
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR SGS
Crankset Shimano XTR M950-IG, 24/34/46 teeth
Pedals Shimano PD-M747 SPD clipless
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-M950, 112.5 mm spindle
BB Shell Width 73mm English
Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
Chain Shimano, 1/2 x 3/32"
Seatpost Kore Elite II, 27.2 mm diameter
Saddle WTB SST, titanium rails, w/kevlar sides
Handlebar Kore thermoplastic
Handlebar Extensions GT Cut Weld
Handlebar Stem Kore Elite
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Dia-Compe Kontak Aheadset DL-2

Wheels
Hubs GT CNC
Rims Mavic 217 SUP, 32-hole
Tires 26 x 2.10" Michelin Wild Gripper Lite-S kevlar
Spoke Brand DT Revolution stainless steel, 2.0mm double butted
Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

@ Tomahawk kid - Thanks! I live 300 yard from the mighty Pacific Ocean in a little town in California called Pacifica. In this salt air is where my Zaskar has lived its entire life. Lots of great rides to be had just riding out the front door around here. Miles of coast and a nice little 3,000 ft mountain to bike and run up. Thousands of acres of open space has been set aside for public use like riding.

Pacifica is the location of the oldest European discovery of the San Francisco Bay. An expedition led by Gaspar de Portolà sighted the bay by climbing the hills of Sweeney Ridge in Pacifica on October 31, 1769.

My mountains have many trails and even a crazy jump park called "boyscout" where the downhillers go with their full suspension machines and body armor to get big air and break limbs. Just to the south is Mavericks where the crazy surfers go to battle the monster waves and too often lose their lives. There is a little something for everyone crazy here...

Many more epic trail heads are just a short drive away, including Mt. Tamalpais in Marin, Mt. Diablo, Skeggs point, and the Santa Cruz Mountains.

But nothing beats pedaling out of the garage and up the mountain...this is where I am happiest in life.

@ the_duke - I appreciate the help. I couldn't get that picture to show using html or bbcode. Lucky for me, I am better at riding then posting pictures on this site...

@ Malt - What happened to your Zaskar?

I will try and get some time to post better pictures. But going tubeless with those Mavics on my old GT Hubs was the best upgrade ever. I have had zero flats with those UST rims and tires. Love 'um like a fat kid loves cake!

Thanks,
-Oceanrider

Back