Frame for overweight rider, trails & occassional silline

I hope I didn't seem to infer they all ride like dogs, sorry about that. My statement generalised that " all " of us are conned and not that " all the overbuilts " are dogs though quite a few of them I've tried did ride quite awful.

Agency_Scum":3rqna3bt said:
I hope I didn't seem to infer they all ride like dogs, sorry about that. My statement generalised that " all " of us are conned and not that " all the overbuilts " are dogs though quite a few of them I've tried did ride quite awful.

I suppose you've got to decide if you want to ride an overweight dog or a more lightweight xc style bike that 'might' snap in half when you take them to the limit? ;)

Ture, true. Though bikes like the On-ones " ride light " even though overbuilt. Classic new steelers like Cove Stiffees and Cotic Souls ( Mk IIs and onward, not the bendy-bridge Mk Is ) are massively overbuilt in just the right areas and keep the weight right down ( just like Bontys back in the day ). I think the point I was clumsily making was when marketing overtakes engineering you often end up with girder bridges.

I am biased I will admit that so please consider that when reading my recommendation :LOL:

The Cotic Soul would be my choice.

Light for a modern steel HT, CEN tested for up to 140mm forks but yet retains enough give to make it comfortable all day.

I am heavier than you and have never thought that the frame wouldn't take the **cough** abuse **cough** I will ever give it.

Cotic have just bought out a new version of the frame that in my mind has spoilt a little of the aesthetics. That said it does seem to mean that a number of 2010/11 frames are being sold off cheaper.

The BFE, Inbreds etc are all worthy considerations but do seem to come with additional weight and IMHO loose some of teh charm of a skinny tubed HT>

Just my thoughts though.

My Soul currently running 120mm forks:

sdc12356_w1024_h768_193.jpg

IMGP2688.jpg

Many thanks for your advice and recommendations gents.

Having stupidly tried to negotiate on an already cheap Stiffe frame on STW, which was subsequently sold to someone with the sense to pay the asking, and having spent far to long reading reviews and scouring Ebay for suitable steeds, I must admit I got a little trigger happy and took a punt on a.........

RM ETS EX-70 16" from a grainy photo, and a zero feedback seller....
Can't find other pics of one the same colour scheme, now thinking 16" may be too small...etc etc....damn my impetuous nature

Hmmm..may turn out alright ( he says nervously!!! :? )

If I had waited, the Chumba I was watching went cheap, as did a couple of Handjobs...and with hindsight I should have bid on the Soul I was watching.

Pics of LMTTMs sort of confirms it may have been the right/choice, but I live in hope that the RM buy will/might/could better my expectations....

K

Back