The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedDwarfUK":1zmx3eub said:
I originally purchased this GT Karakoram (triple triangle) around 1994.

It cost around £800 new which I purchased from J E James cycles in Sheffield. For the first 10 or so years of its life it was stuck in my garage not being used. Then It was used for a couple of years before being covered up again until 2 years ago. Since then I have used it to commute to work (around 8 miles a day)

Its in pretty good nick and just needs 2 new tires and a good service. Everything on the bike is still original, even the tires :)

Wanting around £150 for it if anyone is interested.

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are blurred, rubbish iPhone camera.

£150 is about right, fair price. Lovely bike, good luck with the sale.

sinnett177":qzpmllm6 said:
A friend is having a clearout and wants to move on his old Kona Explosif frame. Naturally he wants a fair price for it and so has asked me to sell it on for him, so before it hit’s the classifieds what’s it worth for this 853 frame?

Frame size is 19” C-T, 16” C-C. Cosmetic condition isn’t fantastic as it had a couple of dings to the chain stays and a small dent in the down tube, the paint is chipped in many places. However it has had no cracks or repairs and I’m certain it will ride superb.

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Very nice, Ratbane sold his on here last week for £250, with the slightly worse condition I would guess at £200-220, it's not in that bad condition really.

Check his out here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Should have a lot of interest in 19".

Indieras":26bukavk said:
Bit of a cheeky first post, but my LBS suggested this site to me on my last visit.

I have a 93 Kona Cinder Cone, 16" pretty much as original (even still has the A & B Drive tyres in excellent condition). Only changes are the bar ends (added them when purchased as I though t they were cool /doh) and I replaced the grips last year (with Kona grips) as the originals had finally perished.

(Pictures in the next post as I can't post images in my first!)

Ridden maybe a dozen times over the years, never in anger off road. A few minor scuffs all from storage not from use.

I'm a hardened roady and can't justify keeping this one any longer as it just doesn't get ridden and as my son is finally showing an interest in getting on a bike I need to clear some space for his steed, or n+1 for should I get the chance.

The question is though, is my old steel hardtail actually worth anything, and if so how much?

Be good

Jon

If pretty mint like you say, then guess about £180?

hey, ive copied from my misplaced post;

Howdy all,

my first post and first time on the forum, i read the selling rules and hope i'm not breaking them - this is a genuine question regarding costs/percieved value/advise what to do with an old bike etc

I've just bought a new bike, as such i'm going to dismantle my old custom built Merlin MALT 1 bike.

the frame is 19", it has the original merlin logo on it (you know the one with the sword that goes through the old black and white merlin logo in medieval style lettering)

i have no idea how much its worth, if it is even valueable or if its just better to palm off the bike to a friend for a few pints - so i thought i would shout out here.

HELP!

it has a variety of other bits to make a full bike, like stxrc shifter/brake leavers, IG deore lx crank (with worn middle ring hah) stxrc front mech etc

tbh the frame is in 'loved state', i.e its been used extensively since i was 14 (im now 30) but i bet i could polish it up ok.

so there is my story and round about question, is it worth selling, if so how much, if not thanks & ill either put it in teh shed for a few years or try to find some other use for it.

i can add a picture when home from work if people are interested.

Cheers,
Andy

calotherm[/b frame itself isnt going to be worth much, £20-30 posted to be honest, even though they are a decent enough frame and light.

The parts together would probably be better off selling with it in a bundle. Problem these days is a functional if not uber-rare or uber-desirable groupset like LK or STX RC wont make you a massive price, and selling a rear mech for £6/7 which you would hope to get, means £4 after postage thanks to royal mail (i.e. not really worth the hassle).

poweredbypies":oe7sun6d said:
Hi right after a value on what its worth not what I gave as a few of you know that already.
IMG_00000045.jpg

IMG_00000046.jpg

IMG_00000047.jpg

IMG_00000048.jpg

IMG_00000049.jpg

If you could pm me as well as posting what you think this is worth Its a campag athena headset that would go with it. Cheers ta fanx

Paddy

Absolutely not a valuation....But :D if I saw that go up on ebay I would set my max bid at 150 but hope I got it cheaper

coomber":2oszhulh said:
calotherm[/b frame itself isnt going to be worth much, £20-30 posted to be honest, even though they are a decent enough frame and light.

The parts together would probably be better off selling with it in a bundle. Problem these days is a functional if not uber-rare or uber-desirable groupset like LK or STX RC wont make you a massive price, and selling a rear mech for £6/7 which you would hope to get, means £4 after postage thanks to royal mail (i.e. not really worth the hassle).

Thanks for the info. so basically im looking about £50-70 for the bike max... depending if someone really wanted it or not.

maybe i should put it up as a full bike to see if someone either specifically wants it for the frame etc or to use as a spares and repairs machine.

its done me well, and i never expected to recoup the money - but after seeing how merlin have changed (especially to their new 'modern & cool' logo/type face it was interesting to me anyway to own one of the first frames they brought out :)

calotherm":4dlqk8nv said:
coomber":4dlqk8nv said:

Thanks for the info. so basically im looking about £50-70 for the bike max... depending if someone really wanted it or not.

maybe i should put it up as a full bike to see if someone either specifically wants it for the frame etc or to use as a spares and repairs machine.

its done me well, and i never expected to recoup the money - but after seeing how merlin have changed (especially to their new 'modern & cool' logo/type face it was interesting to me anyway to own one of the first frames they brought out :)

Yeah thats about right mate, in my opinion anyway. As a lot of merlin frames were sold on their own, a complete build isnt going to be a great deal better, but that sort of money is going to be about right. Someone will probably buy it, use it as a cheap hack or use some parts and sell the rest if they can be bothered.

Not running it down, I think they are good frames.

i was advised to post this here...
Well I have this bike that i got in 2001 for my birthday. I was a avid cyclist. having a bmx bike, a hard tail mountain, and a road bike. I wanted a DH/freestyle bike so I asked my mom and dad for specialized big hit enduro . Well they decided not to get me that, idk why but they got me this "prototype frame" from my azn neighbor, I cant recall where he was from, but i think the frame came out of japan but he was sponsored. I listed off I wanted bomber supension ect and I was happy to see my new bike. well I got a big surprise that it wasn't a DH/freestyle bike. It was more of a cross country bike any way i loved my bike and road it just like a dh, well as you can see i rode it hard. well all my dh friends moved away and i dont cycle anymore and now I want to get back into it so im selling alot of my old stuff. can you guys help me price this stuff when i part it out. I have Googled the frame i guess it really was a prototype i cant find it any where.
TL:DR what can i get for this bike and its parts.
IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

It has
> citcron powercycle 7005 alloy frame ( prototype frame)
>sram plasma grip shift
>avid sd-2.0l break leaver
>fsa orbit xlII head set
>pz company handle bar
>post moderne seatpost
>avid 25 breaks
>dnm 750 rear suspension st-10rc
>sugino mighty 300x crank
>shimano lx deore derailleur
> Marozocchi bomber z3 front supension

Status
Not open for further replies.