Some of my bikes

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Here are some of my bikes; all are used frequently.

Yes, I know that I've not got original parts fitted; but I have got parts fitted that work well . . . for me !

The Ellis Briggs is 1973; the others are from the early 1980s.

I hope my missus doesn't see this - she thinks that I've only two bikes :) .

Gel1.jpg

Gel2.jpg

EllisBriggsbike.jpg

FWEvans-1.jpg

Ral1.jpg

Ral2.jpg

On a couple of the bikes, I'll be changing the saddles to something more fitting. :D

I like the first and last bikes there particularly. What's the first one? What are the cables doing on that last one? They look sort of semi aero.

Iwasgoodonce":1xwjiv51 said:
I like the first and last bikes there particularly. What's the first one?

You are obviously a person of taste ;) These are two of my more auspicious bikes.

The first bike is a Geliano, a French frame with an Italian sounding name - they thought it might help sales.

The frame was a top-of the range one and would have been custom-built.

The fork crown has the drilled holes - Geliano's motif - which sets the frame back in the 1983 /84 era. Frame tubes are likely to be in Columbus SL, although the two split tubes will probably be in a French tube called CAMUS.

The framebuilder could either be a local part-timer, a coppersmith nick-named Bebere, or possibly the product of a very famous frame-builder who worked on a sub-contracted basis, called Francis Quillon ( better known these days as the original owner of CYFAC frames).

The fin on the head tube is made from thin gauge mild steel plate formed by hammering the metal with a boxwood mallet into a leather sandbag - simple coppersmithing techniques - bronze-welded and finished with a file and emery cloth - but a lot of work. (Credit is due to Norris Lockley, for very generously providing this information on the Geliano - "Thank you, Norris" !).

I'm surprised that you like the Geliano, 'cos apart from Norris, you are the only one who has ever made a positive comment about it. I don't know why, but most people seem to (strongly) dislike it.

I took it on my first (and only) V-CC ride last year; on my arrival at the cafe which was the starting point, one of the other riders asked me what bike I was on.

I replied "a Geliano"

"oh"
he sniffed knowledgeably

"Italian crap"

"no"
said I

"French crap with an Italian name".

I thought that someone might find it to be of interest, but subsequently, the bike was given a wide berth by the other riders; I was surprised, 'cos Gelianos are very rare in this country, particularly in the split-tube versions. (Perhaps they thought that it was a much more modern bike, than it actually is.)

The Geliano is a great bike to ride; it is very responsive and handles very sharply.

The other bike that you like, is a Raleigh SBDU in 753R tubing. It is a also a great bike to ride. It is a similar age to the Geliano.

The frame is as I got it; the purists might frown, 'cos I haven't had it re-finished in Raleigh colours and with a Campag groupset. Thing is though, why bother ?, 'cos the frame looks alright - in my eyes.

I live in a very hilly region and I see very little point in paying £££s for Campag stuff - I don't want a highly-geared bike that isn't suitable for the local roads. Indeed, you'll see from the images, that the rest of my bikes have low gears - there are some steep hills around these parts.

I get the impression, that many SBDU products are 'show' items; this bike is ridden frequently - I did nearly 50 miles on it, just a couple of days ago. The ride had over 3,000ft of climb - it would have been very difficult, if I'd been riding with the kind of gearing that so many SBDU owners have put on these bikes. The Suntour Cyclone MKII gears work very slickly; the Open Pro wheels are excellent and the brakes are superb. All in all, the bike is pretty much setup as I require - which is for regular use.

Thank you for your interest !

i-am-iron-man":254zv81c said:
The Geliano frame is beautiful.

Bigfish":254zv81c said:
Love the Geliano.

Cheers for your kind comments. I think many people overlook the Geliano - making the assumption that it is either a (modern) aluminium or carbon fibre frame.

I especially like the seat stays, which are lower down than is customary and the fin behind the head tube.

Bigfish":254zv81c said:
The Evans looks a bit painful to ride frequently :D

I find the Evans to be a great 'do anything' kind of a bike. It is rock-solid and utterly reliable to ride. It has quite a few interesting original features - the bottom bracket housing has been drilled out, as have some of the lugs.

I love all my bikes; am I the only one who finds it difficult make a choice, before a ride ? Of course, I've also got a few frames that I really must do something with, at some time . . .

The last bike with the fastback stays looks classy to me, it was a bit hit and miss in the late 70's if you put the brake cables under or over the bars....personal choice :)

Whats the frame number of the SBDU ?

Shaun

Another Gellano fan here, I think it looks great. The fact that people were sniffy about it only adds to the appeal.

Nice stable of bikes; and you're not the only one who has difficulty choosing which bike to ride :oops:

Midlife":1l7u8n6q said:
The last bike with the fastback stays looks classy to me,

I'm very happy with the bike, at the moment, but that are changes to be made.

The saddle will probably be changed for something which looks more fitting . . . . . . . but is probably less comfortable.

I was slightly tempted, to go for more modern and lighter wheels than the Open Pros, but I do like the look of them and they seem very solid - a requirement on some of the local roads.

The combination of the Gipiemme (Simplex copy ?) shifters and Suntour Cyclone MKII derailleurs seems to work very well indeed - cheaper & lighter than the Campag stuff ;) . The bike also has a IRD freewheel {13-28} and a 50/36 chainset; again, I'm not sure that I'd have been able to find such low gears in Campag.

I could have spent £££s on Campag Record stuff and a respray to Raleigh colours. However, the important thing for me, is that the bike is used; I'm not sure that if I had made the conventional improvements, I'd have noticed much difference on the road. I do like the look of the red and black Raleighs, but it is nice to have one which is different; besides, I'd only worry about the finish.

Back