Merlin

Old School Hero
New 853 frame
Slightly retro Campagnolo Record 10 speed

Attachments

• DYs.JPG
    DYs.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,682
It weighs 8.6kg with pedals (just under 19lbs). 8.3kg or 18.26 lbs without pedals. I could drop the weight a bit further with a titanium cassette and lightweight inner tubes but it feels fine as it is. I was pleased to find some NOS (non-integrated) Reynolds carbon forks to go with the frame. I am very pleased with the way it rides but I have yet to take it up and down any hills, so far just a short 10 mile spin to check all is working.

Some details

Attachments

• DSC00495.JPG
    DSC00495.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,617
  • DSC00493.JPG
    DSC00493.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,617
  • DSC00496.JPG
    DSC00496.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,617
Very nice indeed.

Is your seatclamp on the right way round?

Looks great. Any more details: Is it a custom frame for you? How does it ride?

Thank you for the comments. For a carbon seatpost the clamp is the correct way round. The instructions which came with the Campagnolo seatpost were quite clear that the gap in the clamp should not line up with the gap in the seat tube. The same advice came with a Fizik carbon seatpost I fitted on a friend's bike. Any other opinions about this are welcome. The Campagnolo Record seatpost came with a 31.6 - 31.9 clamp but this is too large for a Reynolds 853 seat tube so I used the Thomson clamp. I asked Dave to put the split on the front of the seat tube to protect it from road spray.

It is a custom frame for me. Dave Yates asked me about what riding I did and had a look at me on my other bike and told me what I wanted and he seems to have got it exactly right. The build, including the wheels, is by me.

Just looked at the instructions that came with the Thomson clamp which say "conventional, collar slot inline with frame slot - carbon, collar slot rotated 180 degrees away from frame slot".

Back