Thinking about STI's...

Jackytwoshoes

Old School Hero
I'm thinking about running STI's. I've currently got a 6 speed shimano 600 set up.

My rear hub is a FH-6207. Could I put a 7 speed cassette on it and use a 7 speed STI shifter?

Thanks!

Probably not. Your 6 speed hubs are likely to be uniglide meaning that a 7 speed hyperglide cassette will not simply slip on. You'd need to change the feehub body to accept the uniglide cassette. You'd then have to source some fairly scarce 7 speed STI's.

What Tel said but 8 speed STIs will also shift 7 speed, you just have one click that does nothing on the rear shifter

Tel":1op1f0nf said:
Aren't they spaced differently?

as I recall 7 and 8 are same spacing, it's just the extra cog and space makes the 8 speed 4.5mm wider??????????

pretty sure this is correct given that loads of people sell 7 speed thumbies with the line 'with hidden 8th click'

7 spd is 5mm, 8 is 4.5 so its different.

if you can get some campag 8 speed ergos, they will work straight off with your 6 spd back end. I know, I used this for years

pigman":2jp39dp0 said:
7 spd is 5mm, 8 is 4.5 so its different.

if you can get some campag 8 speed ergos, they will work straight off with your 6 spd back end. I know, I used this for years

I stand corrected, but it does work - Sheldon said! :LOL:

I've seen many combinations of stuff work "successfully". Like sellers' perception of "immaculate Condition" in the classifieds, it depends on the individual on what works "successfully". This is what chris Juden, the CTC's technical guy has to say about it.
it would seem that almost anything will "index perfectly" with anything vaguely similar! But some people have rather a low definition of "perfect" and all indexed gear systems have an allowance for wear and tear that may allow disparate components to rub along okay, when they are new. Just don't expect them to keep it up very long.
by all means give it a go if someone has experience of something, but keep an open mind in view of how fussy you know yourself to be with all things mechanical

I'm using 8 speed MTB STI (under bar double lever type) units on a 7 speed cassette on my Dynatech MTB and it works fine. I'm assuming that the road ones are the same spacings as MTB etc. as I've interchanged between the two often.

Back