1984 Raleigh Corsa

howlindawg

Old School Hero
I've really enjoyed trawling through the rest of the threads so thought I'd post some pics of my own steelframe.

The Frameset is a 1984 Raleigh Corsa bought new by myself. Handbuilt from double butted Reynolds 501 throughout and finished in Oyster. The Blue paint was added after heat was required to remove the old seat pin a couple of decades ago. :oops:

49770844822_745bddef16_c.jpg

Components are as follows:

Mavic SSC
Front mech, Rear mech, shift levers.
Hubs, Bottom Bracket, Headset.
[Still as smooth as the day they came from the box]

49769987893_c42bd1ac88_c.jpg

Shimano
Brake Calipers, Chainset: 105 Golden Arrow (original parts)
Pedals and rear cassette: 600
Brake Levers: 500EX Exage

Misc
Campag aero seatpin with rolls saddle
Mavic rims with DB stainless spokes
Tommasini leather toe straps
Cinelli cork bar tape

Update: now cannibalised and in line for an update. :)

howlindawg":1zmegu3o said:
I've really enjoyed trawling through the rest of the threads so thought I'd post some pics of my own steelframe.

The Frameset is a 1984 Raleigh Corsa bought new by myself. Handbuilt from double butted Reynolds 501 throughout and finished in Oyster. The Blue paint was added after heat was required to remove the old seat pin a couple of decades ago. :oops:

corsae.jpg

Components are as follows:

Mavic SSC
Front mech, Rear mech, shift levers.
Hubs, Bottom Bracket, Headset.
[Still as smooth as the day they came from the box]

mechhu.jpg

Shimano
Brake Calipers, Chainset: 105 Golden Arrow (original parts)
Pedals and rear cassette: 600
Brake Levers: 500EX Exage

Misc
Campag aero seatpin with rolls saddle
Mavic rims with DB stainless spokes
Tommasini leather toe straps
Cinelli cork bar tape

Very good.

Here's mine also bought new, Shimano 600 (first gen' SIS) groupset, Cinelli 1a stem, Cinelli"Giro"handlebar, Benotto tape, Rolls saddle (v.faded was red).

Roadking.

Attachments

• CorsaTwo.jpg
    CorsaTwo.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4,280
Both lovely bikes, one owners too ;)
Raleigh really did produce some cracking bikes in this period (and a bit earlier).

I can't believe it's been 5 years since I stripped and stored this frame.

I've reinstated the images to the first post as work has recommenced on this one.

OK, so the frame came out of storage and what emerged was a pretty sorry sight.
Chips, scratches, rust and dull discoloured paint.

49770568246_2e0bf962cf_c.jpg

49770021153_9b86c38866_c.jpg

49770879322_a5faa31e3a_c.jpg

49770893732_78019abe0f_c.jpg

So, that'll be needing a bit of TLC then!

I also had some concerns about the bottom bracket threads.
From memory the threads were damaged hence the sealed Mavic BB that was fitted.

I also wasn't sure of the rear spacing, was it 120 or 126?
Luckily a quick check with the vernier callipers showed 127.5 mm so modern hubs won't be an issue.

Finally, that blue paint was a rattle can enamel job by the 19 year old me after a seized seat post required heat to remove. And there was a dodgy Reynolds 753 badge, carefully cut from an issue of winning magazine and applied to the paint with clear lacquer. :facepalm:
It's gotta go!

Re:

Hi

Here's one I rebuilt (and sold) last year, made a beautiful bike but sadly it had to go to make room for the RRAs.

Regards
Tony

Attachments

• CORSA 3.jpg
    CORSA 3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 834
  • CORSA 1.jpg
    CORSA 1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 834
  • CORSA 5.jpg
    CORSA 5.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 834
Re: Re:

3wheeler7":3ch52s19 said:
Hi

Here's one I rebuilt (and sold) last year, made a beautiful bike but sadly it had to go to make room for the RRAs.

Regards
Tony

The frame on that one looks mint.
22" ?

It took a few hours of careful sanding (micromesh 2400 - 8000), rust treatment (Kurust), touch-ups (Humbrol enamel), cutting (T-Cut) and polishing (3M Handglaze) and the paintwork came up pretty well. I gave all the exposed metalwork a light coat of ACF-50 to protect from future corrosion while I was at it. It works well on my motorbikes so should help here too.

49770902487_6f1f7f0ea5_c.jpg

The COVID lockdown means there's a few things that I'd like to do but can't.

Specifically, I like to sort the paint properly either by repainting the worst effected areas or do a full respray with new decals. This tidy up will just have to do for the moment with the paint to be revisited at a later date. At least it gives me time to consider whether to retain the best of the original paint and fade a contrasting colour into it.

Also the headset is a Mavic 310 which could do with being removed for maintenance. I don't have the required spanners and the LBS is closed until the lockdown is lifted so that'll also have to wait.

On a positive note, the bottom bracket threads cleaned up nicely and the new bottom bracket cups torqued up to the required 35Nm without complaint. Bottle boss and shifter boss threads also checked out as being in excellent condition so we're good to rebuild.

49770045133_484ed66b10_c.jpg

Back