What's the difference between the different Zaskars?

LTS Biker":2yyxgytq said:
As far as I know, they were made in The USA till about 2000

I believe the 99 and 2000 frames were made in the USA by SAPA. (With the complete bike final assembly completed by Omnium. They were USA built to spec in those yrs, not produced in Santa Ana. Many of the Yellow and Blue Zaskar Teams and ZR1.0's had Omnium QC stickers on the frame if you purchased a frame only. SAPA actually produced the 2008 Zaskar Re-Issue frames in their Portland, OR USA facility. There are pics floating around the web of when they were being produced.

help a newbie-is this a zaskar? part 9 million....

hey-i think i may have been conned thru ebay(i know,i know,whats new? :oops: )....can ANYONE tell me how to check zaskar frame numbers? my so called zaskar has the no.KK18E0372,but now im thinking its an arrowhead-its very light,tho. and for a bonus point what about my other gt? i know it aint a zaskar,but its LYS6C14472-what the hell is it? any help appreciated muchly,ta

One way to check for a zaskar is the GT plate at the back of top tube . IF flat it is a zaskar , if rounded it is not .

as far as I know zaskar number were always on inside of left drop out :

year , month and serial number with size stamped above

9603 = march 1996 .

cchris2lou":3gpdbhua said:
One way to check for a zaskar is the GT plate at the back of top tube . IF flat it is a zaskar , if rounded it is not .

as far as I know zaskar number were always on inside of left drop out :

year , month and serial number with size stamped above

9603 = march 1996 .

Partly wrong, partly right. 91-98 or 9 the serial number was the first four digits of the serial number but it was month and year i.e. 0396 march of 1996. 6061 was also stamped inside the dropouts. True about the flat cap at the back of the top tube.

Re: help a newbie-is this a zaskar? part 9 million....

mullinino":37aewcu7 said:
hey-i think i may have been conned thru ebay(i know,i know,whats new? :oops: )....can ANYONE tell me how to check zaskar frame numbers? my so called zaskar has the no.KK18E0372,but now im thinking its an arrowhead-its very light,tho. and for a bonus point what about my other gt? i know it aint a zaskar,but its LYS6C14472-what the hell is it? any help appreciated muchly,ta

pIcTuReS.....Pictures.....pICTURES Please. That will help to nail it down.
Colors don't hurt either.

biggins":145wnkgy said:
I may have lied about my bike being from 99. Frame number starts 0398. Does have the made in USA sticker on it though!!!

I had a Zaskar '99 bought in 2000 January sales with 'Made In USA' sticker on it. It was overbuilt compared to an earlier Zaskar I knew - extra gusseting around the headtube especially. Rigid enough to make me buy a suspension seatpost!

Scrapped it in 2003 after I finished work to find a great dent in the top tube. Nice.....not.

Zaskar Race,from 2001.red and black for UK market is taiwanese produced,the shop i work in sold a few,most broke at the triple triangle,some broke at the bottom bracket and others snapped the disc mount off when you braked.We had a couple of failures on the us-made Zaskars and these were replaced from 2000 onwards with the taiwanese versions,which have disc mounts,are 7005 alloy and were silver with blue graphics,or orange and dark purple.These also occasionally snapped the disc mounts clean off and the caliper would come round with the wheel and hit the seat stay.I had a 1999 Zaskar,and these were us-made,6061.There was also the le version,these were us-made,the team version was yellow and blue,disc mount and there is one on Flea-bay today in 12.5".These have a stainless,machined head tube badge,nice frame,no failures on the few of these that we sold.Anything 7005 alloy is made in the far east,NOT USA. :D :D

LTS Biker":36by0483 said:
The LE was initially a clear frame and lighter build: LE Light Edition.
The laters LE versions had some CNC parts in it, or an integrated seatpost clamp.
The later asian versions I can't tell anything about those.

wrong again

gm1230126":1wslk2qi said:
Russell":1wslk2qi said:
The Zaskar Race was the lightest frame, saving 200-300g over the other two. I'm not sure that a standard Zaskar was available in the 'ball burnished' finish.

wrong

Don't be so supercilious, whats wrong? The fact that the 'race' was lighter or the fact that I'm not sure about something? I'm quite confident that me not being sure about something isn't something that you can judge to be either right or wrong so you must mean the weight thing? If thats the case then rather than rather than just typing "wrong", be a bit more useful, tell me why I'm wrong and and back it up with some actual frame weights please.

Quite happy to be wrong (I'm really not that bothered) but would like to know why.

Back