Internet usage application ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Many of us are on a fixed monthly internet usage contract with our ISP's and quite often many of us go over that fixed point and so have to pay more or suffer slow connections and download rates, so I am asking does anyone know of an application that can monitor our usage and make us aware of just what we are using, sort of a counter that we can use so we stay within our contract limits and not incur extra charges or the reduced speed thing until the month is up ?

I have for the last few months being falling foul of this and that because I understand some of the websites I use are media rich, in viewing, I am downloading too much and besides I could do with limiting my internet access.

Sysmetrix has that option, but the number of skins that support it are limited and it takes some fiddling to get it working properly. I wouldn't recommend that unless you're quite tech-savvy.

Doesn't your ISP have a site where you can see how much you've used? Mine does, but it doesn't stop me from exceeding my 100GB limit.

My old ISP had a site where you could see your usage by month and night time/day time usage (free/doesnt count towards limit night time downloads).
I cant remember whom it was, may still be who we are with - plusnet.
And i think virgin (and plusnet, possibly sky) send emails when you are close to and/or going over your limit.

I have a capped 15gb via plusnet and yes they do have a part of their site that displays activity, but I find the way it is represented, hard to understand, but I may be changing my limit soon, as I have just found from the same ISP that I can get 60gb for three quid less. Also I am noticing the mac runs a hell of a lot faster through ethernet than wifi, so in time am thinking to put in a small ethernet network into my flat as macbook wifi is a bit flakey on some models, mine included.

But in terms of an application, I was wondering if there was a discreet counter that can sit somewhere on the desk top telling me how much of my limit is being used as I use the internet.

Well im inclined to say yes as the internet has pretty much everything these days. But thats as much as i know.

If you want an ethernet wire though, go to ebay. I got a 20m one for around £2-3.

Back