1987 Saracen Kili-Flyer

Starting to take shape, spent a bit of time this weekend cleaning, polishing, spraying, greasing and building and have got to this stage.

IMG_20120805_182910.jpg

IMG_20120805_182926.jpg

Ordered the Jagwire silver cables for it, need to get some end plugs for the bars and I'm waiting for the Deore pedals to come from Germany. Might have it done before I go off on holiday.

Carl.

More work completed has seen the MT-60 pedals arrive and stripped and a coat of primer and black enamel, polish of the inners and some fresh grease on the bearing which were mint.
Jagwire silver cable set arrived and fitted, but the realisation that the freehub body was dead (no grease in it with a horrible grinding noise and the main wheel race was shot), fortunately I had a replacement and fresh cones on another spare wheel so that has cannibalised and fitted and the rear wheel is not ready to go.
Still waiting on the stem, but hopefully tomorrow I will have that.
Big dilemma is the decal colour, I think all white, but Gil thinks white and silver. Any ideas anyone?
Holiday is going to interrupt the build now so it won't be done till I get back I think.

Carl.

Haven't updated this in quite a while, but it's been pretty much done for a while now.
I rebuilt the rear hub with a spare freehub body and new bearings and it's nice a smooth now, cleaned up an rebuilt the front hub with new bearings and refurbed a set of Deore MT60 pedals added a set of silver Jagwire cables and some new Shimano brake blocks.
All that's left now are the decals. Gil have drawn the Saracen ones and I just need him to draw the repro 1987 531AT one for the tubes before I order them up. So wish him a speedy recovery from his accident.
As I was moving the garage around tonight to accommodate the Raleigh Team I snapped a quick pic of this with the phone camera.
IMG_20130314_201758_9011_zpsc77e69ac.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with it when finished as it's a bit big for me and the Raleigh will be much lighter and better fitted to me so I might sell it on, but I'm not sure as it was my dads for 20 years and it has a bit of sentiment attached to it.
I does look like it will be a nice Sunday afternoon lazy ride though.

Carl.

Seeing that lovely 1986 saracen in the for sale section, giving this a bump. Lets have some nicer finished pics - any news on decals yet also?

Really must get around to this, the purchase and build of the Raleigh Team got in he way of the finish of this and it looks like my impending house move will also. It still hangs unridden in the Garage, might ride it down to my boys football game today.

Carl.

Took it out for a ride today, just a short one to the local park and back to watch my eldest play football. It's odd riding Biopace again after all these years and it's a bit too big for me (I lowered the seat from the photos by a couple of inches to ride it) but it's nice and relaxed with a take on holiday and pootle to the local shops sort of feel about it. Still need to speak to Gil about the decals, but I took some better pictures with the DSLR.

Frame: Reynolds 531 ATB Tubeset, Handmade in UK

Fork: Reynolds 531 lugged

Headset: Shimano 600 Sealed
Stem: Saracen
Handlebar: Saracen Alloy
Grips: Bontrager Cruiser Foam

Brakes: Shimano Deore MT-60
Brake Pads: Shimano Deore MT-60
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore MT-60

Shifters: Shimano Deore MT-60 (6 Speed)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore MT-60
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore MT-60
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: UG 12-28
Chain: SRAM PC-980
Cranks: Shimano Deore MT-60
Chainrings: Shimano Biopace

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Sealed Cartridge
Pedals: Shimano Deore MT-60

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore MT-60
Rims: Alloy
Hubs: Shimano Deore MT-60
Tyres: Michelin Amberwall

Saddle: Selle Italia Rolls
Seatpost: SR Laprade
Seatpost Binder: Shimano Deore MT-60

Weight: Around 29lbs

Carl.

^ Carl met a chap at my local corner shop the other day with one - prob '87 from his memory in goldish-gunmetal. One owner and in very unabused condition.

hopefully he'll find this and post us a picture :cool:

And (the guy prattling on about his MFox and Orange)

Goldfish gunmetal would make it older. There is a gunmetal one on here that I think might have been 85

Carl

Carl not sure if this is sold or not so you might not be able to help me. But can you tell me a few things about this please, trying to update the wiki on saracen:

Seatpost size, rear spacing, bottom bracket (assuming 68mm shell).

Guess would be 26.4, 130 and 68.

Thank you very much.

Back