what is the best tubular rim?

Don't suppose you are willing to let them go ??

Shaun

PS toi the OP, I'd go for Fiamme hard........tough as they come and polish up nice. Cheap as chips too :)

I am using a Gel 280 on the rear which is 28H and seems to work very well.

As I said the front is 24H and seems to be OK, no flex or movement when I am putting a little power on or going up hill.

The only reason I ask is that I have some lovely custom hubs and wanted to make the most of them by getting some very good tub rims in 28/24.

If anyone has any for sale other than what I have please let me know?

Thanks.

Back in the 70's I tooled around on 36 / 36, the older rear 40 having been superceeded.

I could use my Fiamme Road 36/36 sprints and tubs as a general replacement for the 27X1/14 rims/ tyres. I generally road raced on 36/36 too.

For TT's I'd sometimes swap for a 32 front if I was riding there or rarely used a 28.

Old style tub rims are pretty bendable, pick one up and you can bend and twist it...........it's basically the spokes keeping it together.

As time progressed the rims became stiffer / heavier which allowed for less spokes but more aero.

The generally accepted "strongest" tub rims are SSC's but NOS they cost as much as a bike LOL

Shaun

Just to add, I'm not sure I'd like to ride wheels built with 70's Robergel 14/16 butted spokes with less than 32 in a rim LOL

Shuan

These are the hubs that were custom made for me.

24H front and 28H rear.

Kind of lovely, so want to build them into something strong.

Attachments

• HF cut-outs7 1.jpg
    HF cut-outs7 1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 272
  • HF cut-outs7.jpg
    HF cut-outs7.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 272
Didn't think Ambrosia Nemesis did less than 36..........anyway they have DUREX on them LOL

Have you had a look at the Velo Orange products, I'm sure they do a very nice tub rim if it's something modern that you want and not strictly "vintage"

Shaun

Think I'm going to stick with the GP4s unless anyone has some 24 and 28 hole tub rims for sale?

Had a look on the Velo Orange website and couldn't see tubular rims on there.

Will build them up in a couple of weeks time and post a few photos.

Thanks for all the advice.

Midlife":im513a2a said:
Didn't think Ambrosia Nemesis did less than 36..........anyway they have DUREX on them LOL

Have you had a look at the Velo Orange products, I'm sure they do a very nice tub rim if it's something modern that you want and not strictly "vintage"

Shaun

32 and 36, yes... I didn't read the 24/28 part of the post admittedly.
Not much around... Kinlin makes some, but nothing nice to match those lovely hubs.
Lots of clinchers... I have a few sets of Velocity Aero Head 24/28 to sell which would look good on almost any bike

i swear by ambrosio metamorphosis rims - absolutely bullet proof - period mid - late 80s - the decals are just the icing on the cake - make sure you get the original ones with the blue and green label and the white "AMBROSIO" lettering!

magic!!

:cool:

Back