Compatable hydraulic disc brakes

krist420

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone know if Shimano Deore XT dual control levers (combined hydraulic disc brake lever and gear shifter) ST-M765 are compatable with other brand calipers(tektro and magura)? Apparently they all use mineral oil?

I think it would be a case of trial and error due to the different amounts of fluid moved (and contained within) each setup (caliper/master cylinder).

yes, what he said. you need to measure the piston diameter.

I am running magura marta calliper with shimano brake lever - from memory the marta piston is larger diameter so I was expecting the rear lever (marta) to sink much more than the right hand (shimano calliper) but it doesn't. I thiyught about it and came up with a feasible theory what that is but cannot recall what it is now and I do not want to think right now, maybe later ......

I didnt think piston diameter would matter so much as you could have a bigger piston diameter and a very slimmed down caliper that doesnt hold so much fluid or vice versa and any manner in between.

Cheers for the input guys, think i might take a stab in the dark and go for it, i let ya know how it goes(if it goes)lol

Update this if you do try please, I have 2 sets of combi Shifter/Hyd Levers, an LX and an XT pair that are doing nothing right right now.

The only other problem maybe hose diameter and fittings at either end.

Failing that I'll keep my eyes on Ebay for the cheapest compatible calipers that pop up, Shimano being the easiest I guess.

Back