BOTM August: British Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
kaiser":1o6fisop said:
Can anyone think if any British manufacturers had a go at developing a suspension platform?

I remember the Bigfoot smokestone that had a bolt-on parallellogram elastomer based unit, I assumed it was made by them, but may be wrong?

smokestone.jpg

With Italian tubing, French rims and Japanese parts - my bike is as British as they come - are we not the Mongrels of Europe?

kaiser":2eiqjqni said:
Can anyone think if any British manufacturers had a go at developing a suspension platform?

RSP like the one just posted in <1997 Readers Bikes.

These are the most sorted 'retro' suspension platfrom IMO.

sinnerman":5zljns3b said:
Formula. with a Chas Roberts rear end, Carbon front.

Didnt Deb Murrell ride one....? Or am i thinking Carbon front, steel rear and a linkage suspension fork...?

Did they do a version with rear suspension....?

Deb Murrell rode both versions I believe, the full sus one (with a Quasar linkage fork and flames paint job) and a rigid. UnoSpeedo on here has an awesome Formula.

And Smokestone did build that odd bolt-on unit IIRC it was about £250 and weighed about 39lbs.

There needn't be a 'British' rule as such; the 'britishness' of any entry is simply a factor for consideration by the judges.
When I was designing and building the original Clelands, I always looked at British products first, then European, then worldwide; quite a disappointing exercise back then.
No 5 looks wonderful to me; I wouldn't have specified a black stem because the only one long enough was made by Atom, supplied by the 'nice' Mr Kitching. No black anodised stems available, although they soon would be.
For this 'all black' build I had to dismantle assemblies and get each component powder-coated, and I dearly wanted to have the stem painted as well. I did consider having it done part-way down, but the problem was: how far down.
So, in short my dear Copperfield, the black stem is closer to the original concept than the original specification; I like it.

BOTM- British Steel

My Fuquay, hope you like it.

Attachments

• fuquay 1.JPG
    fuquay 1.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 937
Here's one to split the tweed vote...my 1985 Highpath in its native habitat:

19eb11da.jpg

Chained to an Edinburgh railing and abandoned a few years ago. Wounds now healed, fed and watered and returned to the the woods :D.

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back