My WeightWeenie - NOW WITH GEARS 05/10/12

Will watch this with interest as I'm also going to have a go at a budget weenie build using my recently acquired Carrera Zelos frame as a starting point. Want to see if I can get sub 10kg for as little outlay as poss - I feel some corners will need to be cut ! lol.
Looks like you've got a good frame to start off with. :cool:

I'm going to use the too small frame to make a SS off road fun type thing. Without the gears, full cranks, cables etc I should beat the magic ten. Especially as I plan to build it rigid. The main aim is to do it with standard non weight weenie parts out my spares box.

Heres MINE Still under £500 and a few weight saving measures still to take :D

i had such a frame back then, but with disk tabs, frame was sub-1300g, built with a fournales fork and light wheels it was around 9kg

med_gallery_14811_95_629019.jpg

Oh and nice frame :cool: hows the paint, would you rub it down to save a few grams?

I'd leave the paint on. I like yellow. I hope you have a set or two of scales. As no respecting WW hasn't got some. Soon you will be thinking grams, lb & oz then sanity is lost :LOL:

Yeah I'm gonna be leaving it yellow, and yes I have two sets of digi scales.

Weighing all the bare components (and estimating a few that are en-route) it's coming up at around 7.8kgs without cabling.

Once it's fully built I'm gonna set to work dropping the weights on key components... :D

I built up a sub-10kg commuter bike a while ago, based around a Kinesis 7005 polished frame and it is mighty light, but cost a fair whack (~1K :oops: ) through use of Ti and Scandium components!

Mine has Disc brakes, and HEAVY white-wall semi-slicks..
However, depending on what you want to use it for, are you going with folding tyres, because you'll save a bundle of weight there?
I also found you can get away with 2 chainrings, so there's some more saved ;)

If you haven't yet found/used them, KCNC are a GREAT source of reasonably priced, good-quality light componentry.. It's all the little things like cable outers, bolts and spacers that add up..

I'm gonna go for some AEST V-brakes I think..

And I've already got a bag full of Ti bots to help everything a long the way. Scandium definitely seems to be the way I'm gonna go with the bars, as they seem to be the most cost-effective purchase, but most of the other stuff will be carbon.

Wheels have just arrived today and they top out at 1535g (or 3.38lbs) which isn't too shabby at all, for £60-odd.. :cool:

Latest posts

Back