1998 Kona Stab

Lovely couple of bikes :cool: - I too have been tempted by the NOS Kona BMX frames on CRC - particularly the Mama (well, it'd almost be rude not to really) although the alu version I know is pretty long. I imported a steel Mama frame from USA back in the early 2Ks which with a 20" toptube was perfect for me.

Finally finished! Silver 1998 Mr T's, Formula B4 disc brakes front and rear, XTR 952 rear derailleur, Raceface Turbine cranks with 40T front ring, MRP World Cup chain device, Rhyno Lite rims, Flite saddle, Azonic Shorty Deluxe stem and Tioga brand seatpost, handlebars and tires. Shimano XT rear hub and Dice 20mm front hub. Kept the frame as is with lots of stone chips and scratches - it's a DH bike after all. Frame is small but a really nimble ride for an almost 15 year old clunker and isn't that heavy compared to my 99 Stab Dee lux.

Attachments

• b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,402
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,403
  • stab r.jpg
    stab r.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,405
  • stab L.jpg
    stab L.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2,405
  • stab L2.jpg
    stab L2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,404
That looks ace...the forks perfect.

I had a 15inch Stinky that I loved...despite only have 5 inches of travel, it took a real beating.

Thanks - the bike build proved to be abit of a challenge as alot of the parts were sourced from overseas and cost more than my other builds to do but pretty happy with the end result. Saw one in the LBS when they first came out and followed the DH scene when the Misser brothers and then Scott Beaumont raced the early Kona stickered Turner Afterburner frames.
Now to take it into my local tracks and get it covered in mud and dust when this crap weather subsides!!!!

I managed to get a hold of these after Heavyp who gave me the heads up of a pair of orange Mr T's for sale locally. Really good condition and price for their age. After a few months hunting for forks they're are coming out of the woodwork! May use these as backup or if another frame comes up.

Attachments

• mr t.jpg
    mr t.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,478
Here's a pic of my Stab doing the rounds at my local tracks. I 'm really surprised how good the bike and suspension handles for it's age. Great to jump on and pretty responsive through rough tracks. Currently my favourite bike to ride. Only part changed is the seatpost to a Turner brand one similar to Kona's old style O-beam seatposts. The previous one's seat clamp mechanism wasn't that secure and nearly damaged the "crown jewels" after a few big jumps.

Attachments

• stab98-.jpg
    stab98-.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 1,335
Back