My WeightWeenie - NOW WITH GEARS 05/10/12

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
... Having Scooped this nice retro Carbon Frame on here recently, I felt I needed to do a WW project, so today it begins...

The frame's a transition 97/98 model year, and I've decided to put it in the '98 section as there's more weightweenie interest in these here parts, I feel.. :cool:

Attachments

• Giant_MCM_ww.jpg
    Giant_MCM_ww.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 2,155
gonna use this space for spec/weight updates...

Based on a mathematical calculation of parts on hand, and some to come, I'm gonna be looking at a start weight of circa 8kgs.

Then the fun starts with some tuning.. :cool:

Can you change the seat post clamp for a lighter version? Have you weighed the frame?

ah, yes, this is the picture from the former keeper, I've already put a Tune QR on there which is about 25g.

I know I can get lighter, but I'm trying to mix parts I have on hand, with some parts I can buy off the shelf.

Im aiming for a sub £500 build... :cool: :shock:

Sorry no idea on the frame-only weight just now, but I've estimated 1.7kgs on paper.. :)

8Kg is quite a target. I've recently built a bike that had a 1.3Kg frame and 1.3Kg suspension forks, I predicted about 10Kg and ended up at about 11.1Kg.

I'd forgotten to include little details like the chain, cables and pedals to my sums. I think the biggest issue was not having any light wheels and tyres.

Kg???? What's this??? sign language. Please some are old school :LOL: lb and oz please

tintin40":3bo79nxp said:
Kg???? What's this??? sign language. Please some are old school :LOL: lb and oz please

He started i!!

I was aiming for about 22lb and ended up at around 24lb ish.

Tazio":718au2hm said:
I was aiming for about 22lb and ended up at around 24lb ish.

ANy pictures? You haven't a gallery? Not to hijack this thread :oops:

Nah, it ain't pretty and I'm getting rid of it as I've had to admit it's too small for me. Shame as it was fun to ride but I couldn't get a decent riding position if I wanted to be in the saddle for any time as the toptube is too short.

tintin40":2zacb9v2 said:

I learned both at school... :p and my whole working life has been metric...

However I do still like imperial so I'll try and do both to keep all the people happy all of the time... :LOL:

Back