Tubular tyre glueing -- advice needed!

destry

Dirt Disciple
I'm glueing on a pair of tubs for the first time and not happy with the results... Advice needed!.

Rims are vintage fiamme, tyres are Vittoria Seta Cronometro which are basically NOS but have been mounted before, cement is Vittoria Mastik 1.

Here's what I did with the rear wheel:

- Thoroughly cleaned the old glue off the rim.
- Roughened the base tape, then applied one layer of glue and left to dry. The tape didn't feel tacky when it was dry but I'm not sure if it should!
- Apllied two layers of glue to the rim, with a 24-hour drying time after each application. I didn't slosh the glue on, but tried to get a thin, even layer each time.
- Applied a third layer to the rim and waited for it to get tacky.
- Mounted and centred the tyre and left it for three days to cure.

Having done all the above, I find that if I deflate the tyre I can quite easily pull it away from the rim with my fingers. That doesn't seem right, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for. How strong should the bond be? Maybe it was a mistake to deflate the tyre and start tugging at it...

So, where should I go from here? Would like to get the rear right before doing the more critical front!

Thanks!

Base tape?
I always glue tubes on the bare rim itself.
One layer on the tube itself. One layer to the rim.
I leave it drying till it is not too sticky anymore. One hou at the most. And than add the tube to the rim. Then 24 hours of drying on high pressure and the job is done.
As easy as that.

Only new rims have to be roughened. And glued ones. Before aboves procedure. Never had any problems with it. No mather which brand of rims, tubes or glue.
Succes. ;)

May be you left the glue too long. I have only glued once and the tubs were well stuck on. I used conti rim cement though. this time I use tape as I was in a hurry and it has done the job just as well and more neatly than I could have managed with glue.

I need tp try gluing again.

If you are new to this then try "Tub Tape".......takes all the guesswork out of it but a bit of a pain if you puncture.

24 hours is a bit long for the Dunlop adhesive I used to use, If all else fails then put a thin layer on the rim and half an hour put the tub on..

Fiamme rims were very popular in my day and don't remember any problems.

Shaun

Thanks for your replies... But what I'm really looking for is some information about what a properly glued on tub feels like! Can you lift it off the rim? Well, obviously you have to be able to in order to change the tyre... But how much effort is needed?

I didn't roughen the rim, by the way, just the base tape, which is the strip laid over the stitching...

Cheers, and keep 'em cooming!

My technique is based on that of Stu Thorne, as he's pretty good at it - http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/12/ ... lar_151594.

First thing I do is a layer on the rim, then while that's drying I do a layer on the tub. Then another layer on the rim, and another on the tub. Then I do one more on the rim, and then mount the tub. Pumping it up forces any excess glue out, which I then pick off once it's dried.

I do always put electrical tape around the brake track to make sure I don't get any glue on it, and apply the glue using a flux brush.

You shouldn't be able to "lift" the tub off the rim at all, when I put new tubs on it takes about 5-10 minutes with a screwdriver under the base tape and a lot of effort to remove the old one.

Edit: I should add that this process takes about an hour all in all...

- Applied a third layer to the rim and waited for it to get tacky.

I think this might be the problem, try putting the final layer on the rim and then mount the tub straight away.

Wouldn't use rim tape, most tubs already have their tape glued on, certainly Vittoria do.

Once glued you shouldn't be able to displace it easilty, espacially if the tyre is inflated.

Sticky Tape is a valid alternative... I do use tape, less faffing about (but more hassle in case of puncture on the road)... would use glue only for very demanding riding, like lots of long tricky descents

Back