Prices - am I wrong / but I'm not wrong?

technodup":28mp84je said:
This thread can be summed up thus...

value = what someone is prepared to pay.
I must have been too subtle - it's a curse I can tell you, and I have to live with this...

Part of why I posted this is because reading threads here, recently, and there seems to be an increasing frustration by some that their assumed value of something isn't, apparently, what people are prepared to actually pay - at least when it comes down to that actual paying thing.

Then you see theatrics and price dropping and assertions that some things must now be bargains, because they've dropped so much, and it's all still bogus, because it's still largely way overpriced, partly because others don't seem prepared to actually pay that.

Neil":p01djn80 said:
technodup":p01djn80 said:

I must have been too subtle - it's a curse I can tell you, and I have to live with this...

Part of why I posted this is because reading threads here, recently, and there seems to be an increasing frustration by some that their assumed value of something isn't, apparently, what people are prepared to actually pay - at least when it comes down to that actual paying thing.

Then you see theatrics and price dropping and assertions that some things must now be bargains, because they've dropped so much, and it's all still bogus, because it's still largely way overpriced, partly because others don't seem prepared to actually pay that.

But that's just it, what a seller believes is neither here nor there. Buyers ultimately define prices.

Surely it can be no mere coincidence that when people list their bike for sale at a price they think is fair for what they've put into it and it doesn't sell, they then split it and make their money back on the proceeds?

I have finally got used to the idea I have too many bikes and at least two have to go; realistically I know I'd be lucky to get £150 for either as a complete bike, but all I have to do is look through the 'sold' items in the For Sale thread to see I can easily make £200+ per bike by splitting them... :?

Hmmm.

I can see the sellers perspective in those situations. They want to clear out the shed, but selling something for less than they value it is daft, and they might as well keep it.

It's materialism - things have a value to the owner, generally monetary.

I have a set of hope/mavic 231 wheels. They've have been pristine since the day I bought them (1994). I'd happily sell them for £200, but I really doubt anyone sees them worth that, but equally, I wouldn't let them go for less, as they have a value to me. I'm sentimental.

And in equal measure, some people are just greedy, and want to see as much as they can get for bits.

My 2p

I guess the niche heyday of retrobiking has passed, and more money is circulating within the Retrobike world as more people rediscover their old bikes.

To Me, it's a remarkably cheap hobby, even though my trek build has seen around £1k, and isn't finished yet. I have a job that pays well, and no kids. my other hobbies cost a LOT more than retrobikes, so I tend not to get worked up about prices - parts are worth the asking price, or they're not.

:?:

...exactly; supply and demand also plays its part. I'll freely admit to having paid through the nose for parts from time to time simply because I had to to get what I wanted, when I wanted it (note the deliberate non-use of the word 'need/ed!') ;)

I have to admit at on occasion some in here who have been here a long time so should know far far better, that silly prices don't fly but they go all brain fart when selling and put up prices they know themselves would never tolerate, buy at or even let pass without comment.

On the newbie side I can understand the pricing because they normally say..there is one selling on ebay for xxxx but they forget to mention the one on ebay hasn't sold for years because it belongs to the likes of bbc bikes :LOL:

Yeah that works both ways, i've been keeping my eyes on road bikes for a while, mainly to see a value for mine.

On bikeradar there was a chap selling a new boardman team carbon for the same as you could get it in halfrauds. He had no receipt and and hence no warranty, no first service etc, quite frankly it could have been robbed.
A guy offered him less and he and others had a right bitch about it, and he ended up splitting it and making a little bit more than the chap offered him, thats if he sold all the bits.
He just couldn't be made to see sense, and if he had negotiated with the chap who had made the offer he may have got a sale with a lot less hassle.

Original price and condition must play a part somewhere, eg, a GT avalanche is always going to be worth more than a Talera, and a minter is always going to be worth more than a wreck. Personally i don't understand the demand for bottom of the range things like the talera or hahannas, i didn't want one then and i sure as hell don't want one now!

Prices of parts makes me laugh at times, i've thrown away parts that are as scruffy as some that have asking prices above what i can get an equivalent new part at crc etc. I'd rather have a new part than a nasty condition 'original' part.

I think people get hung up over original spec, fair enough on the rare pieces but on a run of the mill bike?

Neil":31h50qyb said:
technodup":31h50qyb said:

I had a look.Sorry theres nothing i can give you for free :?

:LOL: ;)

dyna-ti":1hetpha3 said:
Neil":1hetpha3 said:
technodup":1hetpha3 said:

I had a look.Sorry theres nothing i can give you for free :?

:LOL: ;)
Damn, you saw through me all along.

Thread spoiler.

Could you take another look? Just to make sure?

Back