Schwinn 4 Banger

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Heres my new ride. It arrived today and it's every bit as minty as it looks :cool:

Spec:

Frame: 2000/2001 Schwinn 4 Banger 17.5"
Forks : Previously RockShox Duke SL100, now Maverick SC32 :cool:
Headset: FSA Orbit
Stem: Thomson 90mm, 5 deg
Bars: Titec
Seatpost: Titec
Saddle: Titec
Shifters: XT
Mechs: XT
Cranks: XT
Pedals: Whatever I had lying in the shed! (to be replaced)
Cassette: XT
Wheels: Mavic Crossroc Tubeless
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tubeless

Weight: ~28-29lb (lighter than I thought it would be!)

I'm going to run it as it is for now. Once I've got some money together I'm going to change a few bits, but for an 'out of the box' bike it's pretty good, and the back end is amazingly plush!

Anyway, here are a few pictures - and yes, the steerer is going to be cut down ;) :

3a05aba8.jpg

23afcbbe.jpg

da355ea1.jpg

f886cebd.jpg

d04ee60e.jpg

aca10394.jpg

f8f0ab49.jpg

47ed9ff0.jpg

416bf056.jpg

mass199":333uk07x said:
Great condition for a bike over 10 years old :cool:

Thanks. It really is. There is a small mark on the top tube, but that's about it. The back end and the rest of the frame look virtually brand new, and the metallic blue colour really sparkles :cool:

The only slight issue is that one of the rear bearings needs replacing as there is a little bit of play which wasn't mentioned when I bought it. Apart from that, I'm very happy and I can't wait to take it out for a spin later!

Great bike, enjoy!

You got the best version of the frame imo. No pinch bolts on the main lower pivot, and the lighter mag droplinks with IS disc mounts.

slope":19b9siup said:
That looks to have come out of a time capsule!

Please adjust those handlebars before you go.

It's a minter :)

The bars look odd because they're swept pretty far forward (although not as far forward as they look in the pictures!). But the upsweep is very comfortable for me so they'll stay like this for now.

Pedals have now been swapped out for some lovely 'GREY' sealed bearing jobbies.

Wheels are now Hope Bulbs on Mavic D321s

Brakes are now Hope C2s

Bars and Stem are now RaceFace Atlas AM and RaceFace Ride respectively.

It's added a bit of weight, but it's brought the bike in line with the type of riding I want to use it for (ie. hooning about!).

Pics will follow once I've got the brakes on and set up.

Forks have gone.

The Dukes are lovely, but not what I was after, so I've got a pair of these on the way:

FK1008.jpg

They have 120mm of travel, but they are relatively short, so won't upset the handling on the 4 Banger :)

What are those?!

What didnt you like about the dukes exactly? lways thought they were decent forks.

Back