Can a full suss frame "warm up"?

If you want to self diagnose, get a friend to sit on it and bounce it up and down while you feel and listen around the frame.

Might be worth a try Cyfa...now where to find a "busty" friend!...."keep bouncing babe, I haven't found the noise yet..."

Have you tried tightening the bolts on the crank arm to the chainrings,be carefull not to overtighten as they can shear off.

If its the bike in thinking of, remove the Allen bolts on the rear swingarm which hold the rear mech / dropouts on. Grease & refit. Mine was making so much creaking & that sorted it. 2 bolts each side. 5&6 mm Allen keys if I remember right.

This may sound silly but it caught me out once very early on and much younger.

I had a creak more obvious when I pedalled, obvious thought it must be the crank..checked it and no, must be the rear shock..nope, checked the wheels and bearings in fact checked everything for the annoying creaking sound...turned out to be the saddle rails groaning under the weight of the fat nob on the bike riding it

Ah yes Sylus I too went through that with one of my other bikes...creaky seat rails and seat post in frame aswell....I do weight 16 stone! This bike has had the rails lightly greased to avoid that sound....still thinking it the linkage area...

...Just don't want it out of action as its my main steed...

Creaking sounds wrong and I know the saddle rail thing, squirting lube at the clamp seems to quieten them down, but a problem I think with stupid weight weenie seat rails operating on the edge of their ability. But for major componentry to be creaking, something's stressing, moving or being allowed to move and so wear is occurring somewhere but if the metal is stressing, not good, be prepared for something failing as noise coming from structural components was always a sign something was on the way out, and am told that is why coal miners preferred wooden pit props over hydraulic as the wood would scream before it was about to fail thus giving warning to get out.

But if you consider what a squeak actually is when it emits from mechanical stuff, isn't it a high frequency scrape or judder, think of the heat being generated by the friction and what that is doing to the structure of the metal, which can be anything from removing heat treatments to creating them, either way it could be outside the design specification and stuff outside tends to fail.

But 'warming up' could be replaced with 'starting to fail' or plain 'wearing out'

Latest posts

Back